Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What is your "scrap brass" list

bamabound

Just wanting to start a little discussion here. What head stamps do you hate running into? Do you scrap or use them for lost brass matches? My number one pain the butt brass has always been CBC in 9mm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm too cheap to throw away good brass.

It's not good brass. That's the point of this thread.

How about this. If I can get the brass to work, it's good enough. I don't reload steel case. That goes straight to the trash can.

For those who have replied, what makes certain headstamps "bad"? What are the characteristics that cause you problems?

Some are commonly known:

S&B has tight primer pockets

FM/IMT is stepped case

Interested in the problems people are having with Tul, CBC, etc.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Wow I'm really surprised. CBC and Tula go in my misc bucket since I sort everything. They load and shoot and reload fine in 9MAJOR. S&B as well but it needs swept with a magnet first and the reamed.

As for crimped brass I just let it accumulate and ream it all on a cold winter day.

My PITA/ scrap list is

IMT/FM that has a ledge.

LY because I once loaded a round and pulled the bullet right out with my fingers because the case wall was super thin.

AMERC because it's universally regarded as junk.

HERTERS Oddly enough I have trouble with Herters primer pockets crushing primers even if reamed

Ammoload, IMT because they're stepped cases.CBC because the primer pockets are tight. Tul(and any ammo with Cyrillic headstamps) because I don't like Russian. Everything else I'll load 9 major, how many times depends on how they look during subsequent inspections.

Edited by Bkreutz

Wow I'm really surprised. CBC and Tula go in my misc bucket since I sort everything. They load and shoot and reload fine in 9MAJOR. S&B as well but it needs swept with a magnet first and the reamed.

90% of my case gauge failures were from CBC and Tula.

Culling those two headstamps alone boosted my efficiency exponentially.

Regarding S&B, it seems to be very high quality brass provided you ream or swage.

90% of my case gauge failures were from CBC and Tula.

Culling those two headstamps alone boosted my efficiency exponentially.

Regarding S&B, it seems to be very high quality brass provided you ream or swage.

Exactly this. Jacketed bullets in particular with Tula would bulge so bad they have locked up more than one gun where I couldn't rack the slide to eject the round. I had to use the end of a table to push the slide against to eject the round. I started case gauging after that and tula almost 90% of the time wouldn't gauge so I started culling them out. IMC has stepped cases and I had them split in half at the step more than once.

I only use Winchester and sell all the rest (except steel, of course). Whatever brass you don't want to use, save it up and sell it to another shooter or to a scrap yard, same with expended primers.