Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Who runs open without a comp?

Rudukai13

Wanting to hear specifically from people running an open division pistol without a comp. I'm guessing most who do run minor PF for steel/3 Gun/etc. Any info/pics is greatly appreciated!

Of note - If your pistol is ported, that still falls into the category of no comp as far as my interest is concerned. Just wanting to see/hear about blasters that are specifically non-compensated.

Edited by Rudukai13

Hello: I shot a match in open with my iron sight, 4.180" bull barrel 9mm. I forgot my open gun at home and was halfway to the match so I decided to shoot the short gun. Had fun at the match but I was just not as fast and shot minor loads. Thanks, Eric

I shoot an XDM 40 FrankenBlaster. Converted my Limited rig to a Carver Hunter mount and Aimpoint red dot 2 years ago. Heavier than most Open rigs but dot seldom leaves screen if I hang on correctly. Had a Tanfo Gold Team but found I didn't have the skills to be competitive so sold it and built this for fun and Steel. Life is soooo much simpler w/ factory ammo! Never regretted it.

My USPSA Open Major gun with a bull barrel in it for steel. In the video I am running a minor load. I played around with it for a while, but then I built a different gun just for steel. It actually shot very nice without all the blast from the comp and major load.

• 2 months later...

I've run my XDM 40 Frankengun in Open for several years without a comp. Aimpoint red dot, Carver Hunter mount and a Carver modified holster. Granted local matches and Steel Challenge only but at my age, 70, I'd rather spend the $$ on beer. I've had an STI Open rig and a Tanfoglio Gold Team both in 38 Super. Both were high maintenance and didn't run as flawless as my Springer.  I can shoot major with factory 40 ammo and still outrun some of the kids with the full race toys. Just my choice. YRMV.

NRA Life

NRA endowment

I haven't shot it in an USPSA match but have played in a couple local steel matches.. I built a shorty open gun off of a M&P .40 that I put a .357sig ported barrel in.  Carver mount for a Burris FF3, slide racker in place of rear sight, custom brass weight under front, slide cuts, heavy brass magwell, Apex ultimate trigger kit and TF+10 on one mag and TT+5 on 3 others.  Run it out of a WSMII holster.

A while ago I decided I wanted some additional flexibility so I could shoot in whatever competition I wanted, with my choice of gear.  So I had another top end built for my CZ 75 TS.  See below.  Now I can shoot Limited Major with the original top end.  With the new top end I can shoot Open Minor or Steel without the comp and Open major with the comp.  You really don't have to take the comp off for Minor, but it does no good at 138PF.

New Lightened comp.jpg

3 hours ago, ano said:

It is the Trijicon RMR RM07 6.5 Moa dot. I have not shot it very much at all. I have had it for a year and maybe 250 rounds. i really need to spend some time on load development and break in. I hate that I am not shooting it. I have the exact same setup in iron sights with no ports also. 

image.jpeg

Edited by Paul-the new guy

• 2 weeks later...

I had the slide milled on a STI Maruader and put a doctor sight on it.  I ran open all this year with it, Im putting a comp on it this off season.  But do I "need" a comp for 3-gun?   I was just as competitive as other open shooters (on pistol) so probably not at my current skill level. 

r, if I were only going to do one I'd go with a comp.  It shoots softer and tames muzzle rise a little, so double tap splits are quicker.  A comp designed for light loads is all you need.  If you want flatter shooting, you can go with poppels plus a comp.  With that setup you will need a slower powder, and more of it.

Here is one example.  With my CS TS "Open" upper I run a 3-chamber, 7-port comp.  3.5gr e3 under a 155gr Rainier plated bullet shoots dead flat, has no recoil and is accurate as all get out.  That load will not cycle my 2011 40 Open gun, with two poppels and a 4-chamber, 5-port comp.  The poppels bleed of gas and I have to go to 4.ogr just to cycle the slide.  A slower powder is actually required to get the most out of the poppels and still work the comp.

I am about to explore doing this. I won a SA XDm 5.25 at the Prod Nats and since I have two now, I am going to set one up with a dot, magwell and Dawson basepads(+4 rounds) and try it shooting minor open. 

With the two guns, I can cover every division except SS by swapping out uppers and lowers. Open, Limited, Limited 10, Production and CO. Pretty excited about being able to shoot the same basic gun no matter which division I want to shoot. My open STI and Limited Executive might not get much use for a whileB)