Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Roll sizing brass, is it worth it?

twister

Yes, I got an extra round and it fed sweet in one gun, but would worn in them all so I stopped doing it.  A case pro would be the way to go.

How much smaller did it make the base of the case above the head? Standard 9mm is around .391

Edited by thompsoncustom

• 2 weeks later...

Well, since I suck as a shooter, I can't afford to be jacking live rounds out of my gun clearing jams. It only takes one good jam to ruin a whole match. I Case Pro every round. I haven't had a round fail the case gauge, like in forever. Cheap insurance if you travel to a few major matches and dozens of local matches every year. If you decide to retire from shooting, you can sell that Casepro100 for nearly what you paid for it.

Edited by Red Ryder

• 2 weeks later...

Roll sizing came about for commercial reloaders being able to recondition brass so they could reload it.  A large benefit is that case rims are cleaned up and takes out the big nicks.   The cases are also morw consistent.  This is important for repeatable accuracy.   The Casepro came about for 38 super shooters in the 80s that had bulged brass from unsupported barrels and 180PF loads. 

We did accuracy testing at 50 yards in 9mm and 38 super/comp and there is an accuracy improvement with roll sized brass versus non rollsized brass.

It is almost a necessity for .40 with all the Glocks out there.  Believe me, once you are over 40 you will appreciate roll sized brass and case lube on your arm and elbow, regardless of the caliber.

I am out of the reloading gig but still have my automated case pro and run it for anyone who needs it.  Pretty cheap insurance for reliable ammo.  If you know someone who has a roll sizer give it a try and see what you think!

DougC

I roll size all my brass, I really on reload .40. It serves a few purposes for me, along with helping the feeding issues related to .40.

Roll sizing is another step/check of my brass. If I have a 9mm,or any other oddball brass, sneak in I will know before loading. I can cull any brass the is excessively hard to roll size. And it helps to get any last little bit of media out of the cases before it goes to the reloader.

It serves me as another check and balance along with the function of better brass.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

I can easily stuff my 9mm mags to the limit with roll sized brass. I don't have a case pro yet, but if you want to give it a go you can just buy processed brass that's been roll sized to see how you like it. That's how I determined if it was good for me. 

On 03/04/2017 at 8:12 AM, DougCarden said:

Roll sizing came about for commercial reloaders being able to recondition brass so they could reload it.  A large benefit is that case rims are cleaned up and takes out the big nicks.   The cases are also morw consistent.  This is important for repeatable accuracy.   The Casepro came about for 38 super shooters in the 80s that had bulged brass from unsupported barrels and 180PF loads. 

We did accuracy testing at 50 yards in 9mm and 38 super/comp and there is an accuracy improvement with roll sized brass versus non rollsized brass.

It is almost a necessity for .40 with all the Glocks out there.  Believe me, once you are over 40 you will appreciate roll sized brass and case lube on your arm and elbow, regardless of the caliber.

I am out of the reloading gig but still have my automated case pro and run it for anyone who needs it.  Pretty cheap insurance for reliable ammo.  If you know someone who has a roll sizer give it a try and see what you think!

DougC

I won't load without one. For exactly the reasons Doug mentioned.

• 9 months later...
15 hours ago, mechanoset said:

Content hidden by moderator.

Huh? Coke bottle effect in 9mm is normal. I run 7-8 lb springs in my Open guns and I have never used roll sized brass.

Edited by jhgtyre
Quoted content contained advertising links.

3 hours ago, Sarge said:

Huh? Coke bottle effect in 9mm is normal. I run 7-8 lb springs in my Open guns and I have never used roll sized brass.

Yeah, I don't know what mechanoset talking about. To be completely honest I don't think I understood a single thing from his post, lol.

It is interesting the feedback above, some use them, others don't.

if you are not bulging 9mm in an open gun, good for you. I know a few who run 9mm open, and all rollsize their brass if nothing else it tends to last longer. Brass in Australia is 30c to 45c plus per case even in bulk.

If it is not a problem, no worries, but as others have said, 1 jam can blow a whole match. With rollsizing I personally find the brass is more consistent in velocity, the reliability in feeding and stacking in mags is better (especially in SIG). 

Well that's my thought.

On 1/30/2017 at 7:02 PM, kneelingatlas said:

This didn't pan out real well <_< The rim got fatter as it pushed through and would work in some guns, not in others...  So rather than pollute the brass pool with fat rims I pulled them all and recycled them.

38sc is a straight case that holds a .355/6 bullet.  9mm(or aka 9x19) round is tapered.  Also holds a .355/6 bullet but base is larger.  Trying to shove that thru 38sc die had to be pretty tough.  The 9x18(aka makarov) round is a straight case but is a larger diameter.  You load a .365 bullet.  Base of conventional 9mm is really close in size to makarov round.  You can use makarov die in bulge buster.

Its very possible the case pro will size conventional 9x19 down smaller.  Not sure if its a good idea since chamber is made to fit the 9x19 tapered round & so is breachface & extractor but if it worked for your friend, good for him.  I sure wouldnt want to pick up his brass to reload!  Lol.

Edited by mlmiller1
Added paragraph

Push the cases through neck first instead of top first.  Takes some reconfiguring of how you push the brass through.  This way any potential bulge is not pushed towards the neck but instead the length of the case