Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SVI Build- AET or Not?

hjweiss

Still in the time window where I can make changes to my SVI build of a 9mm IDPA legal gun which may also see USPSA and Steel match service. I've done all the searches that I can but am still in a quandary about the AET barrel option. I do appreciate (and want) a highly accurate pistol...whether I can do it justice or not. I understand that the AET option works best with premium jacketed bullets and that the non-AET barrel will probably be more flexible in terms of what it will shoot well. So, my main question then is.... what is the accuracy difference between the 9mm SVI AET barrel and SVI's non-AET barrel. Can the non-AET barrel deliver accuracy in the range of 1.5" at 50 yds?

I've already received some very helpful advice from one forum member (Rangertrace) but would appreciate a wider input from some others who also have first hand experience. Thanks all.

Hello: Non AET vote from me. From what I seen there is no advantage at all. As long as the gun is built right with a standard non AET barrel it will give you the accuracy you are looking for with the correct loads. What do they say "a solution to a non existent problem". Thanks, Eric

Bullseye shooters gravitate to Kart or BarSto barrels. Kart for lead and BarSto for jacketed. Although either can be used for both, you really want to put 500 rounds of jacketed through the BarSto before switching to lead.

I will also say that I used 185 gr Nosler JHPs in the Kart barrel for 50 yard shooting. All bullets are X-ring from a rest. Currently I only shoot lead, poly coated or copper plated bullets for everything, so I don't think AET would help me.

All that being said, I will try an AET barrel in the future, just to see. If it actually does remove a lot of the firing torque it would be an advantage for bullseye. I'd love to pit one against my Kart barrel, or my Barsto for that matter.

As far as your accuracy question, the answer is yes. Most well made barrels are accurate inherently. It is how they are fitted and how the rest of the gun is fitted that determines accuracy. Clark Custom, for example, will overhaul your gun and guarantee accuracy. I once asked Clark senior how he could do this. He told me what I just wrote.

You are having your pistol built by one of the premier builder in the country. Fit and finish are going to be superb. Since you don't have an option to use a non-Infinity barrel in your build, I'd suggest you consider exactly what bullet weight and composition you will use for IDPA and choose the barrel with the rifling that best matches.

I am in the process of SV build also. I went with the aet. I shoot mainly 180 gr bayou Bullets coated. Was this the best choice being I shoot coated lead instead of jacketed. Or does it matter.

Curious as well. I have issues in the past with plated where I have never had issues with coated, noneAET barrels. I am building with an AET and hope it works.

Edited by andrewtac

So I went with AET for my 1911 .40 cal SVI for USPSA Single Stack after discussing with Brandon and Team Blue on the merits of AET vs. Non-AET.

I'm not qualified to really give an opinion one way or another other than to say I'd recommend talking to the SVI people and letting them guide you through the decision process.

That said, the AET barrel with the Titanium Nitride looks very pretty no matter what finish you decide to go with in the end. As we know, looking cool is more than half the battle in action pistol.

What I have discovered is that my pistol works fine the Atlanta Arms and Ammo "TCJ" rounds which I seem to recall that they told me were Berry's plated bullets, but I could be very wrong. I was a little concerned at first when I got them because I thought they were plated rather than jacketed. Some very helpful guy named "Casey" gave me a good education on bullets and industry terminology and said if I didn't dig them, they'd make it right. Just trust him and test them. I did and they're very accurate out of my AET barrel. Called him back and thanked him for his time. Asked him to spell his name, turns out his first name is spelled "KC" :)

That said, Brandon has also cautioned me to be careful with plated bullets when I've discussed this with him so that's why I say it's just wiser to talk to the SVI folks and make an informed decision. I'd go with AET again if I had it to do over.

Edited by ericjhuber

I had this very conversation w/ KC today, as I mostly reload using polymer coated (hi-tek) lead bullets. My question was whether the AET barrel was necessary w/ the usage of lead bullets, or possibly even detrimental regarding accuracy. My question was based on others' opinions I had found online. I was assured that coated lead bullets will benefit from the AET barrels in terms of accuracy over their standard SVI barrel. The only caution is that the life of the barrel will mostly likely NOT be as long as loading and shooting jacketed bullets through them.

MM....." The only caution is that the life of the barrel will mostly likely NOT be as long as loading and shooting jacketed bullets through them."

That's rather surprising. The conventional wisdom (??) seems to be that barrel longevity is greatest, in descending order, with lead, coated, plated and lastly jacketed bullets. That would, I'm sure, assume that all are properly sized for the bore. Is the polymer coating in some way abrasive?

I don't know about the conventional wisdom in terms barrel life, but only what I was told via my phone conversation. However, allow me to correct myself, as I believe KC was comparing the barrel life of uncoated lead to jacketed. Either way, his comment was clear that using jacketed bullets would prolong the life of the AET barrel as opposed to using uncoated lead. And I believe he said that coated lead should be "just fine".

I have had three AET barrels, and they were the most accurate barrels that I have shot especially out of the ransom rest. I have shot all kind of bullets except lead cast bullets. As a old bullseye shooter ( shot for 18 years, Disting. Master) , in my opinion they are more accurate than the other favorite bullseye barrels. ---JCB

Talked to Casey today at SV. He said lead coated with hitek will be fine. Accuracy will be up with the aet barrel. Non coated led not so accurate. I am sticking with the aet in my build being SV has said it would be better than just a plain barrel. Casey said o should have no worries about using coated lead Bullets.

Folks, there is no difference in accuracy between coated and non coated lead bullets. The only real difference between the two are (and you all know this) is the coated bullets are less smokey and won't lead up your barrel like the non-coated lead. And yes, while it will take many, many thousands of rounds, copper jacketed bullets will wear out a barrel faster than a lead bullet. Obviously the harder metal will cause more wear than the softer metal over time. Unless of course you damage the barrel getting the lead out.....

Folks, there is no difference in accuracy between coated and non coated lead bullets. The only real difference between the two are (and you all know this) is the coated bullets are less smokey and won't lead up your barrel like the non-coated lead. And yes, while it will take many, many thousands of rounds, copper jacketed bullets will wear out a barrel faster than a lead bullet. Obviously the harder metal will cause more wear than the softer metal over time. Unless of course you damage the barrel getting the lead out.....

For what it's worth I fully agree!,

Thanks, Trace, for your opinion. I haven't been shooting long enough to verify how long it takes to shoot out a barrel with coated, uncoated, plated, or jacketed bullets. I have to rely on the anecdotes and experience of others, like you. But for the record, the nice guy from SVI told me the complete opposite of what you're saying...jacketed are better for the longevity of a barrel over lead. I guess there's a chance I misheard him, but probably not.

By the way, this "nice guy" from SVI has been supremely courteous and patient with me on my builds, as I've called him up and changed about a million things around in the last several weeks. They have excellent customer service over there.

I used an AET 9mm barrel in my Bianchi Cup gun for metallic sight division. I found that I had to push the 115 and 125 grain bullets faster for accuracy. If I remember correctly the 115s had to go over 1250 fps to be accurate. Otherwise they were a shotgun pattern.

I tried .355" and .357 bullets. Jacketed and lead. 115 grain and 125 grain. All with the same result. Fast and accurate or slow and inaccurate.

I would only use the 9/38 barrels for major pf. I can't say anything about barrels in other sizes.

Chris

Resjudicta: Interesting observation. I have read the same comment elsewhere.... that you have to push bullets fast through an AET barrel to achieve best accuracy. Anyone else experience the same? Or has anyone seen high level accuracy from an AET barrel with mid-range loads?

Resjudicta: Interesting observation. I have read the same comment elsewhere.... that you have to push bullets fast through an AET barrel to achieve best accuracy. Anyone else experience the same? Or has anyone seen high level accuracy from an AET barrel with mid-range loads?

A couple of other guys local to me who also shoot Bianchi had the same result with their AET barrels. I don't think any of us use them now. I certainly don't. Particularly since I can get a KKM barrel for $200 instead of over $300 for an AET. KKM and Kart are likely the most used brands for Bianchi. (At least that is my impression).

Chris

• 3 weeks later...

So bumping this back up. What coated bullets are you running? I have probably 4-5% of my reloads fail the plunk test with Bayou 180's, which are .401's I believe. I'm reasonably confident that it is the bullet and not any issues with the case sizing.

I am (was) using these just because I already owned 1k of them when I got the SV, but at that failure rate, it probably makes up the cost difference between continuing to run coated vs buying fmj's.

Of you guys that are running FMJ's, have you found that the barrels prefer a 165 or 180 for major PF? The last post leads me to believe that a 165 loaded to 170 pf would be superior to a 180 at the same PF.

Have any of you had any success with a 200 gr FMJ?