Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Red dot sight in distance for 3 gun ?

CaptJeff

I used to zero irons and dots at 300 yards. I had a hard time getting away from 300 since I was familiar with those holds.

Lately I have been zeroing at 200. Only shot one major with a 200 yard zero so far, but 200 is probably better for a dot.

Edited by Lead-Head

50 yard zero for .223 American Eagle 55 grain

Distance Elevation Inch

50 0.00

100 -1.78

150 -2.57

200 -2.28

250 -0.81

300 1.97

350 6.22

200 yd zero

50 0.57

100 -0.63

150 -0.84

200 0.00

250 2.04

300 5.41

350 10.23

Edited by striped1

Care to elaborate?

So I have a 4moa dot, at 200 I'm dead on at 300 I hold slightly high say top 3rd of a silhouette at 400 I know my bullet drops 4 minutes therefore I hold dot over the target. This works for me out to 500 after that I can't see the smaller targets.

Poi 1.9" below poa at 10 yards

Easy to achieve and roughly equal to a 50/200 zero

I would like to point out for posterity that the only reason to ever attempt this is if the only other alternative is boresighting.

I would like to point out for posterity that the only reason to ever attempt this is if the only other alternative is boresighting.

Or access to a short range only, or as a quicker easier way to get close and confirm at further distance

Or access to a short range only, or as a quicker easier way to get close and confirm at further distance

If you were going to get close and confirm, why would you not state that in your original post, rather than recommend a terrible idea in a thread about HOW TO SIGHT IN A RIFLE?

If you were going to get close and confirm, why would you not state that in your original post, rather than recommend a terrible idea in a thread about HOW TO SIGHT IN A RIFLE?

Have you tried it?

Getting close and confirming? Absolutely. Zeroing my rifle at 10 yards? Absolutely not. I also would not advocate zeroing a pistol at two yards and checking slug POA at 6 yards.