Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Do i need to preclean brass before i put it in the FART ?

the brass i pick up at the local range is extremely dirty and tarnished. sometimes dirt inside and out. seems the way to really get them shiny again is to wet tumble. So do i need to preclean the brass before putting it in the FART? i would like to avoid this step if its unecessary.

When I've done extra dirty brass I do just water and let it spin for a minute or two to get the big stuff knocked loose drain it then proceed with a normal full cycle with soap and lemishine.

If you use an enclosed separator you shouldn't lose many, if any, pins. Just rotate it enough to be sure they all fall from the brass.

s7_214213_999_01_zps5f2e3784.jpg

They come in a multitude of colors from different sellers, but are mfg by Berrys.

The tarnished cases I have tumbled and then stainless steel pinned look like yours - polished tarnish. I think the case needs to be free of oxidation; at least long-term oxidation.

The tarnished cases I have tumbled and then stainless steel pinned look like yours - polished tarnish. I think the case needs to be free of oxidation; at least long-term oxidation.

So are you saying the wet tumbling will not bring them back to shiny brass if they are this tarnished? this is just with corn cob as i am waiting for my Fart to come

Some will, some will but not completely. You will generally be pleased with the difference between the SS pins or corn cob or walnut.

ok. the Fart is supposed to be here on friday. i am gonna do a load this weekend of the tarnished brass and post the result.

I only use Dawn, hot water and SS pins. Perhaps Limi Shine or another cleaner would help with heavy oxidation. What say you?

just came back from walmart and bought a thing of lemishine and dawn. $7 for a 24oz lemishine. if a teaspon is all that is needed its gonna last a looong time.

I only use Dawn, hot water and SS pins. Perhaps Limi Shine or another cleaner would help with heavy oxidation. What say you?

So i decided to sacrifice some brass in the name of science. i put about i teaspoon of lemi into about a cup of hot water. put in tarnished brass and the tarnish was disoving before my eyes. 10 min later they were pinkish like many have described. i am thinking without the lemi shine tarnish will not come off, but the ss pins will only clean it so much . i took them out and put them in my tumbler to see if the tumbler will remove the pink

IMG_20160601_132957%202937303_zpsadod2oa

IMG_20160601_133328%202939911_zpsvz8pph7

IMG_20160601_132721%202937304_zpskf6zv7i

IMG_20160601_132013%202937305_zps1jxjld0