Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Left hand

BARRYJ

Rem 700 leftys are hard to find, but they are out there, usually around 6-700 used. A custom action is also an option, but pricey, 1200 plus, and add a chassis to that.

I just bought a lefty 700 and set it up for precision rifle stuff, but unless you are shooting some goofy positions (like in prs type competitions) a lefty action is not needed for just plinking and hunting...imho

jj

Edited by RiggerJJ

• 1 month later...

lots of options now vs years ago when i was looking. browning, tikka, remington, savage. because lefty bolts were hard to find at the time, i started with a browning BLR lever action where the trigger goes with the lever so no pinched fingers.

you say a bolt gun, but AR-10's and variants will get the job (hunting and target) done if legal to use in your state.

I decided to keep my Remington 700 in left hand and shoot that for a while more. Bought a good scope to go with it. Couldn't see selling one sporting rifle for another. One day, I hope to get me a rifle made.

i'm a lefty myself. i have 3 lh action rifles, it took me a long time to find a short action oddly. given when your doing, if the rifle isn't performing the way you want it to, just get a new barrel and stock, get it blue printed. I've used Don geraci in the past, he does a good job and is quick, but he's getting old and won't be doing it much longer. I've also used the accuracy shop, Bobby builds a good rifle. there are lots of good guys around the country. you it worked over and you'll feel like you've got a new rifle.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm sinister handed as well. 25 years ago finding a lefty bolt gun was a chore. Now I no longer give two shakes about bolt actions. Today's semi-autos are capable of the same accuracy. Welcome the the 21st century.

• 7 months later...
On 7/7/2016 at 5:07 PM, BARRYJ said:

I decided to keep my Remington 700 in left hand and shoot that for a while more. Bought a good scope to go with it. Couldn't see selling one sporting rifle for another. One day, I hope to get me a rifle made.

Just rebarrel that one, put it in a chassis, and you're good to go.  Use it for everything.

• 1 year later...

Another option is to go with the Remage barrel setup with your existing Remington 700, you can run short action rounds with the long action,works great. I have a long action Rem 700 setup with a 243,260 and 308 barrels,  mostly use it for prs comps.