Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

40 S&W Load data for 200s

Justinmac13

On 10/21/2016 at 6:34 PM, darkvibe said:

200gr acme RN with 4.1gr WST at 1.180" makes 173 pf out of my edge. 

200gr Bayou with 4.1gr of WST at 1.190" made 175 pf out of my SVI at Western States Single Stack.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/29/2016 at 6:47 AM, Hunter1998 said:

200 grain GAT cast bullet with 4.3 WSF  makes major and has been very accurate. Shoots extremely soft in my opinion. Also works with Bayou Bullets 200 Grain, have not chrono this load yet.

What's the OAL on this load?

• 3 weeks later...

I had just about decided to pass on 200 gr. bullets... then I tried this load and changed my mind!  When it gets warmer I'm going to have to check the velocity.

Bullet:  Extreme 200 gr. RNFP Plated
Powder:  Hodgdon Titegroup 4.6 grs.
Primer:  Winchester Small Pistol
LOAL:  1.180
Case:  Federal
Gun:  STI Edge
Recoil Spring: Dawson Tool-less guide rod, 14 lb. Recoil Spring & Aluma Buffer Pad

I checked my notes and I was getting about 890 fps with 4.3 grs. of Titegroup - 4.6 is probably going in the wrong direction!  But the accuracy was very good!

Edited by pbcaster45
More info

• 2 years later...

got around to loading some 200 gr coated Missouri bullets. Always liked their products never anything weird till today.
Despite looking identical to the non coated cast 180's, other than the base is longer,,, I had to seat them to 1.150 to plunk( went with 1.145)  in my STI,
180 MO's cast,,, 185, 155, 170 precision coated, PD jacketed 180's, have pretty much always loaded at 1.180, as that is about max for my other 40's.  but nope not these.
Anywho,,, poured over tables and burn rate charts and looked at what I had on hand,,, Local rifle zombie match got canceled today, and bowling pins next on the calander,, 
My dedicated pin gun is currently a box of parts, and I dont even have a decent magazine yet ( caspian doublestack 45) so as it was a rain all day event , did some research and used what I had.
Bullets... 500 count MO, coated 200 Gr LTC
Powders,,, WST, Tightgroup, 4756, American Select, HS6,  BE86.  
Almost went with HS6, but looked like BE86 was between Unique and Power Pistol,, suppossedly low flash, clean, good for coated yadda yadda,, (like every powder claims)
Not alot of data,,, but pouring over what was out there and kinda swagging it, and looking basically at Unique,,,   Decided on a 5 to 6 ladder,,,    goal was 900-1000 fps, which I believed could easily and safely made with this powder,,, considering Unique can do it at shorter OAL than I am running.
 Set up press, measure was set for 180's and WST,,,  threw  10  charges of BE86, came up exact 54 grains,,, humm right on money,,, loaded ten,
Once fired Remington brass from Security range. So KNOW it was once fired.
1.145 OAL
CCI SPP
5.4 grs BE86 ( verified on a Dillon balance scale with 10 charges at 54 grs)

200 Gr coated MO bullet.
OK this stuff is just scary consistent,, although have had near same results with 357 mag.
Thats an SD of 4.5, avg 981,,,, PF 196

Somebody probably already said this:

4.2 grains of Sport Pistol, 200 grain 40 cal  Blue Bullet RNFP, Atlas Nemesis,  chrono at Buckeye Blast 171. My chrono data agrees with match data. AOL 1.185

Sport Pistol meters well and seems temperature insensitive. My chrono data is essentially the same at 27 degrees and 80 degrees. Is it clean? Certainly cleaner than Titegroup with which I have a lot of 9mm experience. N320 not sure about. 

I could have sworn I'd tried 200 gr. coated bullets in my Edge but I was wrong.  I  fine tuned my previous load and tried a lower charge of Titegroup.  Here are the results -  not a coated bullet but it's something!

Bullet:   X-Treme 200 gr. RNFP Plated
Powder:  Hodgdon Titegroup 4.0 grs.
Primer:  Winchester Small Pistol
Case:  Remington
LOAL:  1.180
Avg. Vel.:  839.21 fps  
ES:  35.24
SD:  11.61
PF:  167
Recoil Spring:  Tool-less guide rod, 14 lb. Recoil Spring & Aluma Buffer Pad

On 6/9/2019 at 1:58 AM, Brooke said:

4.2 grains of Sport Pistol, 200 grain 40 cal  Blue Bullet RNFP, Atlas Nemesis,  chrono at Buckeye Blast 171. My chrono data agrees with match data. AOL 1.185

4.1 sport pistol with a Bayou 200 @ 1.19OAL was 169 PF. 

200 Bayou, 3.8 Grains VV320, CCI Small Pistol Primer, 1.165 OA length   849 fps average of 10 rounds,  169.8 PF from CZ-TSO

STI-DVC averages 10 FPS slower

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

I am new to reloading. I was given a lot of 200 grain 40 S&W ACME bullets for Christmas. I have been having trouble trying to crimp these bullets with a Lee factory crimp die.

The bullets are so slippery they come out some when I try and crimp. I am having to reseat them twice and re crimp. Anybody have any suggestions.

J & C

Check your sizing die first, is it holding the bullet tightly without an crimp (i.e. after it's seated.

Push it against your bench hard and remeasure it to make sure the bullet is not being pushed into the case.

Then follow the directions on the Lee FCD and just straighten the bell out or maybe .001 crimp.

I've shot literally 10's of thousands of Bayou 200gr RN with this set up. 

5 hours ago, jcc7x7 said:

J & C

Check your sizing die first, is it holding the bullet tightly without an crimp (i.e. after it's seated.

Push it against your bench hard and remeasure it to make sure the bullet is not being pushed into the case.

Then follow the directions on the Lee FCD and just straighten the bell out or maybe .001 crimp.

I've shot literally 10's of thousands of Bayou 200gr RN with this set up. 

Thank you I do appreciate the advice. I am thinking i may have flared the mouth to much and the bullets are real slick. I can actually push the bullet in almost by hand. It is when I first start coming out of the crimping die it seems to hang on the bullet and pull it back part of the way out. Then I have been reseating them again to the proper length and re crimping. It seems to work of course I have not shot them yet.