Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Starting with a "basic" gun

mreed911

I'm a relatively new USPSA shooter (less than a year). I'm currently a C-Class SS shooter. Much like golf, my expectation is that better gear won't help until/unless I either a) out-shoot the pistol I have or B) have a wholly unreliable/inaccurate pistol.

My practice sessions preclude option b - without clock pressure the pistol shoots where I point it with reasonably small groups - certainly "a-zone" sized groups.

I'm curious about option a - at what point does a better pistol make a difference? Is this something I'm going to need at some point or would a current GM/M SS shooter shoot just as well with a lightly modified "stock" 1911?

I'm currently running a Para Expert 1911 with Dawson Precision fiber-optic front and rear sights (vs. the blade that came on it). I'm using Archangel aluminum magwell grips and have some "grip tape" on the uncheckered front strap. Everything else is stock as it came on the gun - mag release, slide stop, oversized left-sided safety. The Expert runs flawlessly with 200gr RN and I've personally got more than 2000 rounds through the gun so far. I'm getting more comfortable with it.

I have a Para Elite Pro that came with an Ed Brown magwell and VZ grips, but I'm hesitant to swap out the night sights that are on it as it's my EDC. I don't think I'd do as well with it because of the wider front sight and lack of fiber optic color to catch my eye, but I'm open to learned experience on that.

I'm running CMC 8rd mags with base pads.

So, back to the question. Is there actually a point in Single Stack where gear matters more than anything assuming the gear I have is capable of the accuracy I need?

Not hating on custom guns and not averse to wanting more - just trying to take a reasonable approach so that I'm not the guy that shows up with the most expensive gun and shoots in the middle of the pack vs. the guy that shows up with a gun that works and shoots towards the top of the pack. I'd personally rather spend the money I have on ammo and range time vs. a gun that, if any, will only make a marginal difference.

Am I thinking right?

If its reliable and the mags feed, spend the rest of your money on good ammo and matches, training classes.

If you ever get to the point your gear is actually holding you back you'll know it.

I think SS is one class where the gun matters the least. If your gun is reliable, it will be fine. Get a trigger job, whatever sights you like (the ones on it may be great for you) and get a better magwell like a dawson or techewell xt. With that setup making m/gm will not be an issue, well, at least not a gun issue:-)

Using a $750 Springfield with a magwell or my $3k customized Les Baer, I can run the same times/scores. No real difference while moving and shooting.

If the gun is reliable I would try a few magwells and mag releases until you find what fits your hand/ style. Get great mags and your set.

I think SS is one class where the gun matters the least. If your gun is reliable, it will be fine. Get a trigger job, whatever sights you like (the ones on it may be great for you) and get a better magwell like a dawson or techewell xt. With that setup making m/gm will not be an issue, well, at least not a gun issue:-)

agree with above

I've shot SS since before it was called SS back in the 80's etc. Shot factory colts, colts with sights, colts with SA magwells, that was my progression back in the day. I've since owned or own Wilson's, Baer's, nighhawks, DW, SA, PAra's etc etc. Get a good trigger job with good egw or similar tool steel parts done by a good gunsmith and spend your time thinking on how to shoot more efficiently, then go and shoot, when you can't get to the range dryfire drills. there's an old saying "beware of the man with one gun!"

Enjoy your gun and shoot the dog out of it

Finding out what you like in a gun tends to be an expensive process. If you like this gun and shoot it well, spend on ammo only. Practice and practice. Shoot it til it breaks.

Shoot it, buy ammo.

The more you play this game the more you realise training is more important than the gun. You can still stuff up big with the best gear.

Buy whatever premium gun you like when funds allow. But it's never a replacement for practice, it complements it.

Edited by goshimu

Thanks for the advice and confirmation. I'm looking forward to my first ever Major in a month or so (and several this year) and hoping the weather clears so I can get back to Level III's here locally again without running a Tough Mudder to do it. :)

My practice sessions preclude option b - without clock pressure the pistol shoots where I point it with reasonably small groups - certainly "a-zone" sized groups.

i hate to be a wet blanket, but in untimed group shooting, you need to be a LOT better than a-zone sized groups unless you are talking at 50 yards or more. I strive for all upper a-zone at 15 yards for group shooting.

In answer to your real question tho, the gun that motivates you to practice more is the right one, as long as it is reliable.

i hate to be a wet blanket, but in untimed group shooting, you need to be a LOT better than a-zone sized groups unless you are talking at 50 yards or more. I strive for all upper a-zone at 15 yards for group shooting.

In answer to your real question tho, the gun that motivates you to practice more is the right one, as long as it is reliable.

Understood. In a rush to write a cogent post I defaulted to "A Zone" hits. Slow, I'm very accurate through at least 15 yards. I'm working on both longer and faster. I get what you're saying though and respect the advice.

you can go a long long way with that gun, as long as it runs reliably. many inexpensive 1911's are extremely accurate, and even many cheap ones are only a $30 trigger job away from really really good. If i were you, I would focus all my attention on learning to call my shots (know from the sight picture as the gun fires where the shot went). That one skill will direct all the rest of your practice and development. Good luck. :cheers:

I would like to play devils advocate...

I bought a gun that will forever outclass me and it has helped me get a little better. Simply for the fact that I love the gun and it calls to me in my sleep to do more handling and firing. My minority case, the gear helped before I shot out my old one, just because I suddenly shot more.

That aside, going back to the old gun, I now function better with it as well...Nothing more ammo would not have helped, but a spoon full of sugar I guess...

ps. I agree with shoot what you have

Edited by Folkstyle

I would like to play devils advocate...

I bought a gun that will forever outclass me and it has helped me get a little better. Simply for the fact that I love the gun and it calls to me in my sleep to do more handling and firing. My minority case, the gear helped before I shot out my old one, just because I suddenly shot more.

That aside, going back to the old gun, I now function better with it as well...Nothing more ammo would not have helped, but a spoon full of sugar I guess...

ps. I agree with shoot what you have

Very true if you like your gun you will love practicing with it more.

I do love to shoot it. The weather here canceling all the local matches for the past month has sucked - I'm hoping to get a few more in before my first Level II. Goal is to be B by the end of the year, if not A. Current goal is "finish in top 25% of my division/class at Level II" since it's my first. I'll adjust goals from there.