Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Indoor stages

• 1 year later...

Flatland Shooter put up some photos of the Saddle River Range indoor layouts here:

We use metal stands with wood uprights, duct tape, and 1x2s for shooting boxes and fault lines. Works pretty well.

Hope this helps.

Edited by Supertrunk

On 1/15/2018 at 8:03 AM, Supertrunk said:

Flatland Shooter put up some photos of the Saddle River Range indoor layouts here:

We use metal stands with wood uprights, duct tape, and 1x2s for shooting boxes and fault lines. Works pretty well.

Hope this helps.

are you the same supertrunk that used to ride ktm dirtbikes in vegas?

• 3 weeks later...

We have been running a match every week for the past year in an indoor range.  Also USPSA.  We have 2 bays, each 19' wide.  If you want some stages.... we have a ton.  We built walls out of black netting and a very light wood to make moving them and setting up easy.  We have 3'x3' shooting boxes, that we outline in chalk when we put them down.  Also have a few of the Newbold poppers cause we can not use the steel indoors.  Let me know, I've got 100+ stages.

Gorilla brand duct tape, while expensive, is really good at anchoring down raised fault lines. We usually use 2-3 strips for every 5-6 foot stick (targets sticks serve double duty). For fixed size shooting boxes, we use PVC piping and joints which are getting pretty beat up, although they have been in use for 3+ years.

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/23/2016 at 11:53 AM, ATLDave said:

We use 2x2's with sandbags at the ends/joints. Helps to have some of the 2x2's fitted with folding hinges for the corners of likely shooting positions.

I think that ATLDAVE and I shoot at the same indoor match.

lIke he said. They are also painted orange so shooters can see them. We also use 2x2 and plastic fencing to create walls that are attached with spring clamps to the target rails. 

there is another range I shoot at that uses 4x8 sheets of core-gated plastic with bungee cords to hang them from the target rails.

On 5/23/2016 at 11:53 AM, ATLDave said:

We use 2x2's with sandbags at the ends/joints. Helps to have some of the 2x2's fitted with folding hinges for the corners of likely shooting positions.

I’ll bet you have a little cart to transport the sand bags back to the storage area too! 

I think ive pushed that cart a time or two. 

Video of the 2018 WIIT (Winter Indoor IPSC Tournament) this past weekend. They use lots of 2x2s for fault lines that are just tapes down with duct tape or gorilla tape. They also have 11 tall portable traps and 2 low portable traps that are used for off angle or low shots over 3 indoor bays. This isn't doable everywhere but it opens up the options significantly for stage design. The portables are a AR500 box that is lined with ballistic rubber and topped with plywood. They are emptied out every few months. Plywood is used to shield the concrete from repeated fraging from poppers.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I wish our local indoor range had traps for targets. All of our indoor stages have targets completely downrange and straight. No angled targets because they don't want someone to shoot one of the walls that is the side of the building. If you do shoot the wall its a instant DQ.

On 5/13/2018 at 1:13 PM, CaptD said:

Duct tape for our "practice sessions" (which USPSA in now making us send in activity fees) but when it comes to regular matches we'll tapcon them in if needed.

Those are matches. You guys just go away with it for years. Just because you dont have a classifier doesn't mean its not a USPSA match. You use their rules and their name... you owe em money. Simple as that.

Edited by Maximis228

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/24/2018 at 10:09 AM, SwedishMoose said:

The Machine Gun Nest in Maryland seems to be pretty popular for indoor stages. You may want to look for footage from them. 

I've done a bunch of matches at TMGN and their stages are legit.  It helps that they've got a pretty big club with lots of support.

• 2 weeks later...

I have seen colored tape used indoor and it works really well. Before they were using pvc and not securing them but after every shooter they had to be reset which was a hassle, even though they were marked where the corners were supposed to be.