Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Gun wont chrono

I am getting ready to shoot the Buckeye Blast. I run a few rounds over the chrono and realize I am a little low. I bump the load up a bit head back to the range and I am getting some crazy readings. My es is in the 80 fps I am shooting with a buddy he has no issues.

I grab some fresh brass and start over. I set the chrono back up I cant get more then 2 or 3 readings out of a full mag.

The chrone is in a box using the infrared sky screens batteries are fresh in the unit and the ir stuff. I break out the second chrono It acts like the first. I do somehow manage to hit the side support of the sky screen a few times. I never do that.

I grab my back up gun and run some rounds over the chrono. 10 for 10. What do you think?

If the chrono and batteries are good I would drop the charge back to where it was/run old ammo through it and see if it returns to normal. OR move back about how few feet. If it does I would suspect upping the charge affected the one gun somehow and it's blowing gas into the coffin.

That is bizarre, especially with the IR screens.

Besides the above suggestions - Maybe take a black sharpie and color the bullet black?? I had some erratic readings with some hornady jacketed bullets (with an old CE Pro-Tach that is normally super reliable at capturing the readings), a buddy says to color them with a sharpie...and yep, they all were captured. Of course in my case it was using sunlight and not IR, but it is easy to do so still might be worth a try.

If you keep getting the same results you just may have stumbled on a way to stump the chrono stage/crew by using stealthy bullets!! :cheers:

it's not the bullets

My stupid comments aside...

If you think it's the gun not the bullets, the only explanation would seem to be something with how gasses are getting ejected from the muzzle. How about gradually increasing your distance to the chrono?

I have used this set up and bullets for quite a while. I dont think its the box. I took the gear out with the same results.

Looking at the gun we discovered the comp fit is messed up and allows the comp to move left and right. I do not mean rotate. I must be shooting sideways across the screens.

Edited by AWLAZS