Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

PCC - Zeroing & offset at close range

DocMedic

I have a fun local match I'll be shooting my MPX this weekend at, and I've been told the furthest target is around 50 yards, which will probably be a full IPSC. I went to my local range to zero it for 25yards and see where it hit at 50 and 100. at 50 the limiting factor is the ammo as it groups is about as tight as a piece of paper but at 25 it stays nice and tight. Then I started messing around at closer ranges and was quite intrigued the dot off set even at 5 yard increments. From 25 yards to 20, there was a 1 inch offset, at 15-10 yards it was 2 inches and at 7-5 I was getting almost a 3 inch offset from POA/POI. Now because the match is tomorrow I won't touch anything as its just a fun match, but afterwards I'm not sure on where I should zero this gun at for USPSA and Steel Challenge PCC division, I was wondering what everyone else was using for there zeros.

A bunch of us who shot PCC at the 3GN Regional in FL ran a 75 yard zero. If you check at multiple distances you'll see it's very similar to a 25 yard zero.

After coming back from the match we all agreed that running a 15/20 yard zero would have been more beneficial for that particular match. Why...because the 4" pieces of steel (simulate clay bird) that were at 7-15 yards were harder to hit than any plate rack at 50-60 or large piece of steel at 100. Would rather have to hold dead on those to get the hit versus worrying about the offset.

I'd also recommend at least a 4moa dot for PCC. I ran a trijicon MRO and Martini shot a 2 moa Aimpoint Micro. We both agreed we'd rather have a larger brighter dot for PCC. Edwards ran a 8moa C-More and that was fairly close to perfect.

• 3 weeks later...

I think a 7.5 or 8 moa dot would be perfect for PCC. Big enough to find easily on hoser stages and I have about that much moa drop between 50 and 100 yards with my reloads. Set the top of the dot for 50 yards and your hold over will be about an inch either way from 5-50 yards.

For any rifle used for Steel Challenge (RFRO and PCC) using a red dot I use a 17-20 yard zero. For other matches in my area I push the zero out to no more than 25 yards. I would not go longer unless I was forced by a match distance to switch to a 1-4x scope.