Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Help! cutting dovetail for slide racker - 360 X 60 or what?! -

BeerBaron

I have what I assume is the correct cutter, The gunsmith that installed mine made me buy it... If anyone needs it I will let it go cheap.

finished%202_zps9ebfa325.jpg

Made you buy it? I bought one to do the one I did for a friend but I sure as hell didn't charge him for a tool I most likely will use again.

Yeah, and the cutter was like $135.00 or something... He said he will never install another one. I have zero use for it unless I can put it in my Dremel lol

I had a similar issue. I had to buy a cutter too. I didn't read the instructions properly and hence just bought a bomar type dovetail cutter (360X60) hence this thread! in the end it worked just fine but it would have been easier with the proper cutter. Yes I saw the cutter they recommend is $$$. it is carbide though so it should last. I'd suggest one of the smiths or hobby smiths on here might want it. the zig racker is a nice piece and the cutter you have is the correct tool for the job.

• 1 month later...
On 8/8/2016 at 11:06 AM, Paul-the new guy said:

Yeah, and the cutter was like $135.00 or something... He said he will never install another one. I have zero use for it unless I can put it in my Dremel lol

How much do you want for the cutter?  I can't afford $135 but I saw you said you let it go cheap...

On 8/8/2016 at 11:06 AM, Paul-the new guy said:

How much do you want for the cutter?  I can't afford $135 but I saw you said you let it go cheap...

On 8/4/2016 at 10:57 PM, BeerBaron said:

no worries. pics it is.

The gun is still a bit of a project. the refresh plans are:

new cheely setback 90 mount with cmore slide ride (have the mount with custom hole pattern - thanks to Matt Cheely).

the new super large racker (now done, and with thanks to Brazos for the great product and instructions)

need to replace some small bits (grip screws are nicely seized up and the heads a bit hammered for starters, some scope mount screws were knackered too)

Took apart the barrel and comp which is an interesting sleeved barrel (sleeve is full length to just before the forward most locking lug and basically no taper so slide is clearanced inside, I should weigh the slide, I'd guess it's light)

new magwell (dawson ICE in red - just waiting for them to come back into stock at SSI)

swapping in a red enos bottom curve trigger insert (got that)

Phoenix Trinity shielded ambis

I will also consider cutting back the dust cover if I don't like the balance. interestingly without a scope the balance point on my finger is behind the trigger guard. actually it balances on my finger nicely just in front of the trigger shoe which is slightly to the rear of the mid point so if anything it's still rear heavy even without a mag in it (heavy magwell helps no doubt).

The new scope setup is well set back so balance shouldn't change too much. Light slide and titanium comp help I'm sure.

Anyway some pics of she is now half way to being re-furbed. sans scope for now, but with racker. :)

The cut:

rack6_zpsnsb54aoq.jpg

rack1_zpshfg5sovx.jpg

rack5_zpsrbsanqhb.jpg

rack3_zpsoji0aatk.jpg

rack2_zpsfsgtgmox.jpg

rack4_zps9g3fzzkr.jpg

Thanks again for the help and advice. As I said I did end up using the 360 cutter I had and we did have to make a few extra passes on each side to widen the dovetail but any non radiused part at the end of the cut is not noticeable thankfully. Certainly the 375 cutter is the correct size to use! The fit is very tight but still easy to get in and out by hand no problem.

Nice gun...pretty unique.  I had considered doing a carry comp gun similar to this.  I was going to do either a 4.25" barrel and end up Government length or a 3-3.5" barrel to end up at 4.25" Commander length. 

• 5 months later...

Would someone be kind enough to measure the width on the base on their zigracker.  Mine is 0.344 - 0.345.   Edges are rounded off and looks great in the the package.  But wondering how this will fit up in the 0.375 dovetail cut that is recommended.

thanks.

Just measured a brand new one and one out of my ck. both are 0.345. It's because the corners are cut off. The balls will push it up into the dovetail. 

0.375x60 is the correct cutter. I did use the 360x60 (as that was what I had) but I did have to walk it over to widen the cut. 

worked out OK.  Directions are very easy to follow.  I did go look at couple of Brazos open pistols built by the man himself before I did the cut and found the zig racker on those pistols have a loose side to side or some wiggle movement

hmm, mine is nice and tight. I guess that's one benefit of using the 360 cutter and then walking it over a little at a time to widen the cut. We got a very tight, but smooth fit. I have 2 CK's now with the same racker and one is very tight (quite hard to remove the racker) and the other is about the same as my SV. I'm guessing a small variance in the dovetail cutters is responsible for that.