Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Critique my match reloads

I spliced together the video from all of my reloads at my last local match (didn't get video for stage 1). Please take a look at what you can see that I can improve on. I feel like I should be reloading a bit higher, but really struggle to execute a clean reload higher up. Let me know your thoughts and if you have a good drill to help me improve whatever suggestion you are making.

https://youtu.be/qM7pLXNG640

Can't figure out how to imbed the video. If someone can explain that to me I will edit.

P.S. Yes, I know everything is much slower on that final stage. In my defense, it was hot, almost no shade available, I had been RO'ing quite a bit and my daughter drank all of my water. I was dead tired and not only were reloads and all movement quite slow, but I nailed my first no shoot of the day on the second swinger. That all I have for my excuses...

Edited by pointerman1967

My advice? Go faster. I would try to get the gun a little higher, but frankly I don't think there is much wrong with having the gun slightly lower. I mean, look at how Ben Stoeger reloads (very low, if you are unaware).

By going faster I mean increase your hand speed to the magazine. As soon as you call the last shot before the load, your hand should be flying to your belt for the next magazine. You should be hitting the mag release while that is happening. There is some delay between shooting the shot, hitting the button, and moving your hand to the belt. Do everything quicker, and as soon as that shot breaks.

All in all they look good though!

Edited by Gooldylocks

You should be slapping down to get that mag and ripping it out and bringing it to the gun, then you can slow down a bit to make sure it goes in smoothly if you have to. Also, can you lower the pouches at all? Your wrist looks weirdly contorted to get them for some reason. Maybe I'm seeing things.

You should be slapping down to get that mag and ripping it out and bringing it to the gun, then you can slow down a bit to make sure it goes in smoothly if you have to. Also, can you lower the pouches at all? Your wrist looks weirdly contorted to get them for some reason. Maybe I'm seeing things.

I'll have to pay closer attention to how it feels when practicing. Not sure my current equipment allows for them to be lower though.

This.

Slap that mag like it owes you money.

They are CR speed right? You can flip them around on your belt.

No, I think I bought some cut rate stuff to try and save a dollar. Might be Blackhawk or something like that. Forgot to look last night when doing dry fire. Will try to remember tonight.

Do some dryfire work with it broken down into pieces. Ben does that with the draw... and I think it'd be highly useful with reloads as well.

IMO, practicing "weak hand beginning on gun, down to the belt, and back to the magwell with a full mag" would help. Watch Nils or Vogel or Ben or any top GM on YouTube and focus on nothing but how their weak hand retrieves a mag. Compare it to yours.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

Do some dryfire work with it broken down into pieces. Ben does that with the draw... and I think it'd be highly useful with reloads as well.

IMO, practicing "weak hand beginning on gun, down to the belt, and back to the magwell with a full mag" would help. Watch Nils or Vogel or Ben or any top GM on YouTube and focus on nothing but how their weak hand retrieves a mag. Compare it to yours.

+1

Burkett reloads. Slap your hand down to the mag and get it to the magwell, and stop before you insert it. Pause at the exact moment the magazine begins to enter the gun. To do it and stop correctly, it takes lots of visual attention.

You should be able to get down to .7 or .8 fairly easily with some focused dryfire. As far as reps, just keep doing them until you can't hold the gun up anymore.

+1

Burkett reloads. Slap your hand down to the mag and get it to the magwell, and stop before you insert it. Pause at the exact moment the magazine begins to enter the gun. To do it and stop correctly, it takes lots of visual attention.

You should be able to get down to .7 or .8 fairly easily with some focused dryfire. As far as reps, just keep doing them until you can't hold the gun up anymore.

Been doing Burketts. You should have seen my reloads 3 months ago. :) Will focus on speed of hand TO the mag in this drill going forward. I have been focused on ensuring the mag lines up with the mag well which is more accuracy mode than speed mode. I'll go to speed mode and ignore alignment for a month and see what happens.

+1

Been doing Burketts. You should have seen my reloads 3 months ago. :) Will focus on speed of hand TO the mag in this drill going forward. I have been focused on ensuring the mag lines up with the mag well which is more accuracy mode than speed mode. I'll go to speed mode and ignore alignment for a month and see what happens.
I wouldn't ignore accuracy, just focus on the hand speed to the magazine and then from the magazine to the gun but slow down just a little bit right before you get to the mag well.

When you're moving, you're letting the gun lag behind you (almost like you're leaving the gun behind, suspended in midair). It's slowing down both your movement to the next position and the reload itself.

When you fire the last shot, get the gun in toward your torso and simultaneously attack the next mag on the belt as others have advised.

Having the gun in close has the added benefit of 180 insurance and shielding the gun from the prying eyes of ROs.

I prescribe the "quick step" drill + reload from the Ben Stoeger dry fire book.

+1

I wouldn't ignore accuracy, just focus on the hand speed to the magazine and then from the magazine to the gun but slow down just a little bit right before you get to the mag well.

Been using Steve Andersons "Get to Work" and listening to his pod casts. I am a firm believer in his philosophy of not mixing accuracy and speed during your practice sessions. Focus on one thing at a time. If you move my hand really quick and end up missing the mag well because I am focused on accuracy then you just your success on the failure of hitting the magwell and fail to recognize the speed break through you accomplished with the fast grab. Spent last night ONLY focused on grabbing the mag quickly and I can do it quick. Just need to keep drilling it so it is my new normal.

When you're moving, you're letting the gun lag behind you (almost like you're leaving the gun behind, suspended in midair). It's slowing down both your movement to the next position and the reload itself.

When you fire the last shot, get the gun in toward your torso and simultaneously attack the next mag on the belt as others have advised.

Having the gun in close has the added benefit of 180 insurance and shielding the gun from the prying eyes of ROs.

I have Stoeger's "Skills and Drills" book, but I have not really been using it since it seems geared towards someone who has a range they can setup in their backyard or something. I don't see the drill you prescribe in the book I have.

I do have a two day class scheduled with him in the middle of next month so maybe I'll ask him then. :)

I have Stoeger's "Skills and Drills" book, but I have not really been using it since it seems geared towards someone who has a range they can setup in their backyard or something. I don't see the drill you prescribe in the book I have.

http://www.amazon.com/Dry-Fire-Training-Practical-Pistol-Shooter/dp/1497319633?ie=UTF8&qid=&ref_=tmm_pap_swatch_0&sr=

• 2 weeks later...

This.

I have been quoting this frequently. I love it. "Slap that mag like it owes you money". Could be my favorite shooting advice ever. :)

This.

I have been quoting this frequently. I love it. "Slap that mag like it owes you money". Could be my favorite shooting advice ever. :)

:cheers: