Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ordered 650 today. Should I have ordered the 1050?

I just started reloading again. It's been about 5 yrs.

In the last two weeks I've loaded up about 500 rnds of 9mm.

My load is

Berrys 147 gr

3.9 grn WSF

Fed primers

1.150" OAL

.375" crimp

Mixed head stamped

All have fired 100%.

It seems like in that time the amount of nato brass has went up like crazy. I know I'm seeing it more on the shelves at the gun stores.

Tonight while loading up 200 rnds on my 550 I had around a dozen nato and another 10 or so (blazer and speer)that wouldn't seat.

Would the swagging station on the 1050 have solved this problem?

I know the cost of the 1050 is significantly more than a few pieces of brass. However, I want to reload with ease.

I guess I could not buy once fired mixed brass. But that's part of reloading semi auto. No way I could pick up all my brass.

Edited by B_RAD

Like to hear a reply from some Blue veterans. Been running Load master for pistol, getting where I'm just trying to keep up enough ammo, with rifle season in full swing, pistol steel ect, plus life , I need a lot greater volume output

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

When I come across a crimped brass (90%+ 9mm) I can get nearly all of them to seat. Out of 500 round loading session (I only have 5SP primer tubes) I only have 1 maybe 2 that I cannot get to seat by feel. Once you use it more you should be able to feel it and finess it in. On occasion I need to spin the brass a 1/4 to 1/2 a turn and press again. Once or twice and it's seated. At least this is my experience. Be patient and Good Luck!

When I come across a crimped brass (90%+ 9mm) I can get nearly all of them to seat. Out of 500 round loading session (I only have 5SP primer tubes) I only have 1 maybe 2 that I cannot get to seat by feel. Once you use it more you should be able to feel it and finess it in. On occasion I need to spin the brass a 1/4 to 1/2 a turn and press again. Once or twice and it's seated. At least this is my experience. Be patient and Good Luck!

Thanks for the advice!

I did basically this same thing when I had my 650. After a while, though, it was easier to just pull the brass when I got resistance and keep going.

I will say that the 1050 is worth the cost. I thought the 650 was easy until I got the 1050.

I did basically this same thing when I had my 650. After a while, though, it was easier to just pull the brass when I got resistance and keep going.

I will say that the 1050 is worth the cost. I thought the 650 was easy until I got the 1050.

Of that 500 round session I might toss one maybe two into the scrap bucket.

The s1050 eat NATO brass without issue. I purchased an s1050 to handle 9mm/.223 because of the on press swags, I've sine added another for .45/.308. 650 is used mainly for reloading non-crimped brass calibers and or reloading brass that has already been processed on a s1050.

Only you can determine if it's worth upgrading to/for.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Can you source "same headstamp" brass? Might cost a bit more.

Not sure I could. That is without buying new.

I'd pay a little more if I could find some that was the same once fired brand.

i just upgraded from a 650 to a 1050. i like the swaging option especially when you buy once fired brass.

if you can afford it i would suggest cancelling the 650 and upgrading.

but keep in mind caliber changes are much more expensive on the super 1050.

i love mine so far.

two weeks I've loaded 500 rnds of 9mm.

Tonight while loading up 200 rnds on my 550 I had around a dozen nato and another 10 or so (blazer and speer)that wouldn't seat.

I know the cost of the 1050 is significantly more However, I want to reload with ease.

I guess I could not buy once fired mixed brass.

Loading 500 rounds of one caliber every two weeks, I don't see a problem here at all. :ph34r:

I load 500 rounds on my SDB, visually checking each piece of brass and discarding "off headstamps"

that I know will give me a hard time to seat a new primer.

There is no way that I would spend $2000 to load 500 rounds/week. :ph34r:

BUT, you've offered two possible "solutions" to your "problem" ....

1. buy new brass - LOTS CHEAPER than a 1050. If you spend fifteen cents/brass case,

and shoot it 4 times in practice and then shoot it a fifth time in a lost case match,

it cost you three cents per round.

2. buy a 1050 - you say you are seriously considering this option - sounds like OVERKILL

to me, but hey, if you can save sorting 22 pieces of "bad brass" each reloading session,

and you've got the dough - GO FOR IT. :cheers:

Can you source "same headstamp" brass? Might cost a bit more.

Not sure I could. That is without buying new.

I'd pay a little more if I could find some that was the same once fired brand.

Sorting headstamp is a huge pain, I'm never. Going to do it, will 1050 still work for me,one thing my Load master, yes it's a pain , doesn't need sorted brass to run

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Well, the plan is to keep the 650. I'll just deal with the small amounts of difficult brass. Eventually, I may end up with a 1050 for 9mm only. Then just use the 650 for 45,44,10mm.

Got the 650 today.

Ordered it last Wednesday, got it today!

Of course! This is my second press from benos!

Got as is should be, case feeder and stuff for 45, 9mm.

I chose the 650 3 years ago as my first real order. Had no experiance but went with my gut. I don't push out thousands of rounds a month but I do small batches of 5-6 caliber changes. After the first month I bought caliber change and dies for each caliber and it's super easy. I'll only load 223 for rifle, all the rest are handgun. Good luck with your new toy hope you like it as much as all of us other 650 users.

The one thing I really don't like about the 1050 is the warranty. I've gotten so used to the lifetime warranty on the other presses that I would be pissed to break parts and have to pay for them :)

I've had my second hand (first hand never loaded a round) 650for close to two years. I had a range that I could take what brass was there and I did, also got about 3000 from this PO. A decent amount was military crimped. Way to easy to pull that case when it is a bit hard to prime. And I don't toss, I pull out the box cutter and take out that crimp and toss back into the feeder. Simple zero cost