Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Trijicon MRO......any opinions?

RangerTrace

On 5/16/2016 at 7:26 PM, RangerTrace said:

I realize this isn't the perfect Forum for this topic, but I'm building (having built) an 8.5" 300 BLK for an off duty/backpack/hunting rig. When not in the backpack, it will be wearing a Silencerco Omega at the range and other times. I'm leaning towards the Trijicon MRO as the sight for this rifle. I love Aimpoint products, I have a Mini ACOG on my 9mm SBR, but I'd like to give the MRO a try......

I have heard many good things about the MRO, but instead of trying to tell you myself i'll let two pro's, Aaron Cowan and Pat Rogers tell you...

http://www.recoilweb.com/trijicons-mro-sage-dynamics-70769.html

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=3&ved=0ahUKEwikxrO5uI_QAhUM6IMKHdCKAcsQtwIIKTAC&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3D0Ej-xCW_YQs&usg=AFQjCNEI_x2aqX5VWcE7EQSAoflFZ22xBQ&cad=rja

• 2 weeks later...

Good battery life. I've had my two on the #4 setting since I've gotten them for 12.5 months and 11 months, respectively. Still going strong..

when I first got them they looked a little weird and thought maybe they may be a teeny bit over 1x, but now I don't even notice anything once I get to target focusing and driving the gun 

i like em, they'll eventually replace my eotechs, which I still like a lot.

I was very excited about this optic and finally got a chance to play with one a couple of weeks ago, everything about it was good except one thing.  I couldn't get past the color change.  When I looked through the optic, everything had a very subtle light blue tint to it.  Almost as if all the colors had been dulled a level or two.  It was very clear and the optic felt like it was a very quality unit, but I believe the coating on the front lens may have contributed to the off color view.  This was the optic that I had picked out for my current build, an AR9 SBR.  After seeing it and playing with it though, that color change turned me off enough that I decided to keep looking. 

• 1 month later...

I have only noticed any blue tint on a white background.  Outside there is no noticeable tint.  It's fast and the fov is great.  I feel like I am looking through a mini toilet paper roll when I use my T1's now.....l

T

I believe you are correct.  I had a chance play with the same MRO again on a night shoot.  There was no color change with weapon lights, flashlights, and car headlights, optics were clear and I believe that the color issue may be from fluorescent lighting, which is what I was checking it out on the first go round.  I bought a Sig Sauer red dot for that AR already, but I have another rifle I am putting together that the MRO may play well with and I am reconsidering it again.  The field of view is much larger, like you said on the MRO than most of the others.  Now if any of them besides the Eotech, had a 1 MOA dot, I would be really happy. 

• 1 month later...

Just an update.  I caved in and bought an MRO, this will now be the 3rd one that I have played with.  The blue tint is present in all 3 during any fluorescent lighting, that is really my only complaint.  The rest of the unit is first class.  Oh, don't freak out when you notice that the front lens is crooked, its supposed to be that way, I had to revisit the other two I have played with AFTER a internet search for the issue. 

I can not recommend enough to make your purchase through Larue Tactical.  I have price shopped for months, and anyone that has really looked at them, will recall that the base price does not come with a mount at all and the cheapest I found was $493 with no mount.  If you want a mount, start looking in the $544 range for the basic setup.  Add $100 if you want any kind of aftermarket mount.  I saw a review on Amazon that simply said he wished he had bought his from Larue.  Curious, I looked.  Huh, $493 WITH one of their quick detach mounts.  The only downside is that all of their mounts are lower 1/3 co-witness and I prefer absolute co-witness because that is simply where I have developed my muscle memory for everything on those types of rifles.  Its only about 1/10" of an inch, but is noticeable to me.  I got over it pretty quick because its on a fun rifle, not something I use seriously. Their mounts are top notch, but surprisingly, so was their customer service. 

I got the box and opened it and there was so much stuff packed in the box, I immediately checked the invoice to make sure I hadn't been duped into paying more for something........Nope, price was the same, shipping was very reasonable and a care package that was outstanding.  Spoke to a friend that orders from them, and he said they have always treated him that way. 

Now I have finished building two more rifles for my sons, but money won out on the decision for those.  I just mounted two of the Sig Romeo 5 red dots.  Lighter and smaller than the MRO, same quality dot, but with electronic buttons to turn it on, off and adjust the brightness.  Same 8 day light settings and 2 NV settings.  Yes, it has a smaller field of view, but my MRO is at the front edge of my receiver, so I have a reduced field of view anyhow and its not as big of a difference.  And indoors, the Sigs are crystal clear, no blue tint.  That makes 3 of the Romeo 5's I have purchased for about $100 more than the one MRO.  I love the MRO for the rifle its on, but the Sigs have a place in my safe too. 

1 hour ago, tact said:

Botach.....483$ with Geiselle mount if you use the bid option. You can also get the ADM qd mount for the same price.

Or for an extra $10 you can go with a quality, well run company that properly supports its customers like Larue.  Sorry, I don't like to post negatives but Botach won't get any love from me.     

1 hour ago, tact said:

Yes, that's a good deal if you like Larue mounts, but I don't. Sorry I was just posting a decent deal. I personally don't get all wrapped up in principle buying accessories for tools.

Sorry, I didn't mean to come across as biting your head off for posting a good deal.  Botach advertises good deals.  I've just had multiple BAD experiences with Botach to the point that I feel obligated to warn everybody I can to not do business with them.  I'm talking about one instance where they took my money, never delivered a product, and refused to acknowledge me via customer service.  Other times they posted a killer deal for an advertised in stock item, then when I placed the order they claimed in an auto response that it's on backorder but coming soon, and then let it languish for months with no response for delivery updates.  And, of course, it remained advertised all the while on their site with the killer price, and still "in stock."  I'm from citing personal experiences.   It baffles me that they're able to remain in business.  My angst is with Botach, not you.  

Edited by jkrispies

6 hours ago, jkrispies said:

Sorry, I didn't mean to come across as biting your head off for posting a good deal.  Botach advertises good deals.  I've just had multiple BAD experiences with Botach to the point that I feel obligated to warn everybody I can to not do business with them.  I'm talking about one instance where they took my money, never delivered a product, and refused to acknowledge me via customer service.  Other times they posted a killer deal for an advertised in stock item, then when I placed the order they claimed in an auto response that it's on backorder but coming soon, and then let it languish for months with no response for delivery updates.  And, of course, it remained advertised all the while on their site with the killer price, and still "in stock."  I'm from citing personal experiences.   It baffles me that they're able to remain in business.  My angst is with Botach, not you.  

Years ago, I tried Botach, got a killer deal on some good name brand cr123 batteries, ordered 60 of them and receive them just fine.  I thought the company was good to go, I ordered a Colt rifle about 6 months later, was charged and after 6 months of battles, never received the rifle.  Thank goodness for the power of established credit card companies.  I will never order from them again. 

It wasn't my intention to derail the thread with Blowwtach negative experiences. I was just trying to help rather than have someone paying an extra hundred for MRO and mount. The Larue deal is equally economical. Now back to the MRO.

• 2 weeks later...