Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Using different capacity mags to start with on different stages

MarilynMonbro

Let's say you're shooting CDP or CCP. Are you allowed to start one stage with an 8 round mag loaded with 8+1, but on another stage use a 7 round mag loaded with 7+1?

I have seen this done before to make it more convenient to slide lock reload, but I never remember to ask at the time.

As I recall, in CDP you can use either 7 or 8 round mags but whatever you use for the first mag, you have to use that same amount for the rest of the match. Unless otherwise specified all magazines have to have division capacity...you can't download to game a slide lock reload. You now, may, however, dump rounds to empty the mag (unless it is a limited vickers stage). :)

I went back and looked. In the new rule book available here: http://www.idpa.com/compete/rules

...it has:

8.1.2 Magazine Loading
8.1.2.1 All magazines must be loaded to division capacity at the start signal throughout the match except in the following cases:
8.1.2.2 If a magazine is used that holds less than division capacity, the shooter will load all magazines to the capacity of the lowest magazine throughout the match.
8.1.2.3 The CoF description may require reduced magazine loading.
8.1.2.4 In the Revolver division the shooter must load the revolver and all loading devices with the same number of rounds throughout the match unless the above loading exceptions apply.

• 3 weeks later...