Garmil

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 8/22/2016 at 8:43 AM, ano said:

quick math makes the lens of the romeo3 to be close to what they spec 25 wide x 21 high, if we guess dimensions and material thickness are somewhat similar on the romeo1 it would be like 30 wide and 16 high.. 16mm is getting rather tiny, especially when used to the 29mm slideride... why cant they just make something similar? the romeo3, with just a taller glass would be perfect, but guessing its not

I think some one needs to sum it up and say "taller glass" is needed for something like CO... possibly not needed as much for an open shooter who's dot doesn't/shouldn't rise as much as a production gun?

Not owning either optic, I'm assuming the romeo 1 (being wider and shorter) is useful for open while the romeo3 (almost as wide and a bit taller) would be more useful for CO? of course that's subjective... some people might not need width and might only care about height.

for comparison, I just googled the competition...
fastfire3 is   25.4mm w x 25.4mm h (including housing material)
rmr is 22mm w x 16mm h (lense measurement) 
rts2 25mm w x 22mm h  (lense measurement)
c-more slideride 29mm (perfectly round?)
deltapoint pro  33.2mm x 33.0mm (including housing material)

looking at all these sizes... no wonder I hate my RMR, lol

Edited by bigbob21

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/24/2016 at 0:48 PM, bigbob21 said:

I think some one needs to sum it up and say "taller glass" is needed for something like CO... possibly not needed as much for an open shooter who's dot doesn't/shouldn't rise as much as a production gun?

Not owning either optic, I'm assuming the romeo 1 (being wider and shorter) is useful for open while the romeo3 (almost as wide and a bit taller) would be more useful for CO? of course that's subjective... some people might not need width and might only care about height.

for comparison, I just googled the competition...
fastfire3 is   25.4mm w x 25.4mm h (including housing material)
rmr is 22mm w x 16mm h (lense measurement) 
rts2 25mm w x 22mm h  (lense measurement)
c-more slideride 29mm (perfectly round?)
deltapoint pro  33.2mm x 33.0mm (including housing material)

looking at all these sizes... no wonder I hate my RMR, lol

measuring the lense inside the housing the Romeo1 is 28.45mm x 18.10mm

Romeo 1 seems like a very good size. I wish companies would make the windows higher rather than wider. 99% of the time I've been searching for a dot on the draw or lost it between shots it was high or low not to the side.

3 hours ago, alma said:

Sorry about the dirty lenses and desk. Here is a C-more slide ride, the Romeo1, and the Romeo3

mp4XF7Q.jpg

It is just the picture or is there. Bunch of exposed glue at the top of the Romeo 1 lens?

1 hour ago, Garmil said:

It is just the picture or is there. Bunch of exposed glue at the top of the Romeo 1 lens?

Not glue. There is actually a great story that goes along with that and the following article: https://primaryandsecondary.com/the-sig-sauer-p320-rx-review/

I lent my gun to a local guy who was attending a Pat Rogers memorial event full of lots of mil/le/faceshooter types. They had been very skeptical of the Romeo1 and wanted to see it first hand. What I didn't realize is that a few there were going to be testing its durability using the gun that I plan to shoot for the next six months. I send my contact a message to ask how it was going and how the dot was holding up since I expected that they were going to be shooting it and he said, "Haven't run it hard other than jamming the optical into a plastic table 20 times.....dot is still on. :D" So while smashing my Romeo1 repeatedly into the plastic table with a metal frame they discovered that the lens protrudes ever so slightly further than the front of the housing so it was taking the full force of the "single handed manipulation drills." What you are seeing are the small cracks that ensued. Now, a couple of caveats: 1. I don't know too many USPSA shooters who do that and I certainly would not have done that myself or given it to someone else to do. 2. The damage caused would be covered by SIGs Infinite Guarantee so if I were a regular customer I could work with SIG's customer service to get it replaced for free. 3. The dot didn't miss a beat. It remains zeroed, the dot has never failed, it's still on the original battery, and it's going strong 2,500 rounds post that incident. 4. When they made the discovery we dropped a note to the SIG Optics guys who actually already have a design to increase the strength of that housing up front in case any more Timmies decide to that it looks like a great charging handle to use against large inanimate objects. SIG's says they are targeting the new housing for early next year, but for our game I consider it a non-issue and am actually impressed that it took the abuse and still functions perfectly. Let me know if that makes sense or if you have anymore questions about it. I have a three-page write up on the Romeo1 and the RX that will be coming out Monday and will share it here when it drops. 

Edited by alma

2 hours ago, Kingman said:

ok, the Romeo 1 is bigger than the 3, what about the dot. 

Max brightness on the R1 looks to be around 6-7/9 on the Romeo1. Let me see if I can get a picture comparing the lens

2 hours ago, Kingman said:

ok, the Romeo 1 is bigger than the 3, what about the dot. 

Max brightness on the R1 looks to be around 6-7/9 on the Romeo1. Let me see if I can get a picture comparing the lens

Comparing the two, there is a bit more of a tint to the R1 lens. Not nearly as bad as an RMR but next to the R3 you can tell a bit of difference. The dot is good but the R3's dot looks slightly more crisp. I might need to clean off the R1's lens a bit too since I have been shooting it a lot. Both are 3 MOA. Sorry for the blurry cellphone pics. I might be able to get some better ones outside tomorrow. 

uwNIHI6h.jpg

edited:  If I run the romeo3 with a cheely rts2 mount, i understand the blast shield will be in the way.  Any idea how much?  Almost wondering about taking the mill and cutting a groove in the blast shield to snuggly fit the romeo3. 

Do the rts2 nubs on some of the mounts line up with the romeo3?

or should I take my cheely slideride mount, and drill/tap the holes for the romeo3 and just have it push up against the blast shield?

Edited by ScottieShootz

2 hours ago, ScottieShootz said:

edited:  If I run the romeo3 with a cheely rts2 mount, i understand the blast shield will be in the way.  Any idea how much?  Almost wondering about taking the mill and cutting a groove in the blast shield to snuggly fit the romeo3. 

Do the rts2 nubs on some of the mounts line up with the romeo3?

or should I take my cheely slideride mount, and drill/tap the holes for the romeo3 and just have it push up against the blast shield?

The mount pictured is flush with the front of an rts2 to give you an idea how much you would have to modify a mount.

the nubs are the same on both

IMG_1241.JPG

Edited by Garmil

1 hour ago, Garmil said:

The mount pictured is flush with the front of an rts2 to give you an idea how much you would have to modify a mount.

the nubs are the same on both

That appears to be the entire hollow section that overhangs.  I wonder if I'll almost mill through the entire blast shield to make it work. 

Maybe ill order the everglades rts2 mount since its $65 and if I cut the whole blast shield off then oh well. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

To follow up on this:  I've got my Romeo3, I tested on a cheely cmore mount and will definitely need lots of adjustment (in my mind).  
1: the curve on the blast shield section means the romeo3 sits back from being pushed up against the blast shield a few MM to sit flat. Would need to mill this to a hard edge.  
2: The blast shield comes up a solid 1/3 or more of the optic glass, this would need to be milled down in height.
3: Need to mill off the excess mount on the rear and drill tap for Romeo screws.
4: refinish the mount since its hacked up. 

So, I'm saying screw that and buying a rts2 mount.  

Edited by ScottieShootz