Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

new Caldwell G2 Chrono?

Just got mine delivered last week, seems to be a pretty well thought out package (although the tripod does seem a bit on the flimsy side, it does have a hook on the bottom of the center shaft to hang a "stabilizer" weight). The smartphone Bluetooth app connected easily to my Samsung Galaxy S5. I did some simple indoor pellet gun testing to verify operation - all seems good.

I loaded up a batch of .45's with a range of charge weights of a new (to me) powder this weekend, I am planning on a range session tomorrow afternoon, I'll be sure to report the "field test" results.

If you have a chance can you measure or check the manual as to the dimensions of the shooting area? I'm interested in how large a target area I would have compared to optical units like the Comp Elec.

Also, please let us know how long the battery lasts before it needs charging or how long you ran it during your range session.

Don't really care about the smartphone app...just want a chrono that will be usable indoors or out with a large enough shooting area that I am less likely to kill it while in use.

Many thanks in advance!

OK, here's the report on the first trip to the range with my new Caldwell G2.

I ran the unit for about 90 minutes (without the lights on) and it was still reporting (on the smartphone app) that the battery was nearly full. I fired a total of just under 100 shots, and the chronograph recorded every single one. Condition were partly cloudy.

My session included both pistol and rifle - as an initial "sanity check", I fired one string of 10 shots of factory 5.56x45 (55 grain M193) and the results seemed right on the money:

Created: 05-17-2016 01:06:00 PM
Description: 5.56 M193 (LC 13)
Notes 1: 16" Carbine
Notes 2:
Distance to Chrono (FT): 10.00
Ballistic Coefficient: 0.304
Bullet Weight (gr): 55.000
Altitude (FT): 0.0
Temp: 66 °F
BP: 30.11 inHG
Shots
# FPS FT-LBS PF
10 2971 1078.16 163.40
9 2948 1061.53 162.14
8 2949 1062.25 162.20
7 2983 1086.89 164.07
6 2956 1067.30 162.58
5 3011 1107.39 165.60
4 2953 1065.14 162.41
3 2955 1066.58 162.52
2 2960 1070.19 162.80
1 2921 1042.18 160.65
Average: 2960.70
StdDev: 23.86
Min: 2921
Max: 3011
Spread: 90
True MV: 2971.77
Shots/sec: 0.27
Group Size (IN): 0.00

techj: The "shooting window" is about 11-1/2" wide at the bottom, 5-1/2" wide at the top, and 14" high.

Overall, I am very pleased so far, my only complaint being the supplied tripod is pretty lightweight - probably just fine for indoor use, but I brought along a "real" tripod for today's range session as it was a bit breezy out.

Edited by Steve_53

• 2 weeks later...

I tried mine for the first time this past weekend. My results were very similar and agree that the included tripod is very flimsy, especially were the unit attaches to the tripod. I only tested some 9mm loads not any rifle yet. I did get a few Error codes but attribute that to when the wind would cause the unit to move on the tripod. Also there were a few times that it read speeds of 398 and 440 which is not possible as all of the other readings were in the 1100 fps range. I do believe that the issues were most likely caused again by the lack of stability of the mount. It was a very bright sunny AZ day around 95 degrees when testing. This is my first Chrono so there may be some user error involved as well.

Is it supposed to?

I'm not aware of any chrono that works with a 60hZ flicker gumming up the works.

I always position a bright incandescent light next to the chrono body LOWER than the windows so it can shine up on the bottom of the screens, and have very good results with a Pro Chrono along with one or two other brands.

Is it supposed to?

I'm not aware of any chrono that works with a 60hZ flicker gumming up the works.

I always position a bright incandescent light next to the chrono body LOWER than the windows so it can shine up on the bottom of the screens, and have very good results with a Pro Chrono along with one or two other brands.

This chronograph is flipped upside down with the sensors pointing towards the ground and the built in light source pointing up. I guess the idea is that ambient light sources won't interfere with it, but have no idea if it works well in practice.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

Is it supposed to?

I'm not aware of any claims that it will work but every other chrono will normally work under fluorescent lights if you add LED lights to the sky screens. If the lights on this unit overpower the ambient light I don't see why it wouldn't work.

Right from the product page:

Product Description

The G2 literally flips conventional Chronograph technology upside down. By inverting the system the G2 is capable of measuring in adverse light conditions making the measurements more accurate than conventional chronographs, even indoors.

• 1 month later...

When I first got mine, I did some "basement pellet gun" testing using the built-in led lighting. This was done in my workshop - 100% fluorescent lighting (a whole lot of 4' 2-bulb fixtures) - no errors, no funky readings, no missed shots.

Edited by Steve_53

• 2 weeks later...

This is the ball-head that I bought to replace the flimsy pan/tilt head that comes with the tripod:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BEIKE-BK-03-Camera-Tripod-Ball-Head-Ballhead-Quick-Release-Plate-1-4-Screw-US-/141275705375?hash=item20e4b0301f:g:DcQAAOxyOalTZFhN

Makes setting up the chrono a whole lot faster (and far more stable)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Just got mine today, too late to make it to the range but had to set it up in the living room. All I had to test it with was a clear plastic fork and throw it through the shooting area. It works and read all the straight throws, even one that bounced through at 6 fps. Pretty impressed so far. 2c58a6dc6ccf46b1749577d3cccfb721.jpgc558aa15ca490c091c13d9700e2f706d.jpg

Thanks

Just got mine today, too late to make it to the range but had to set it up in the living room. All I had to test it with was a clear plastic fork and throw it through the shooting area. It works and read all the straight throws, even one that bounced through at 6 fps. Pretty impressed so far. 2c58a6dc6ccf46b1749577d3cccfb721.jpgc558aa15ca490c091c13d9700e2f706d.jpg

Thanks

I don't think your going to make major ;)

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

Update- Took this out to the range and it was actually a pleasure to use it. Set was quick, connected to phone, was shooting and recording in just a few minutes. Didn't miss one shot and no errors, very nice not to have to stop between each string and write down all the numbers. Cool thing being able to share and forward information too. Great job!

Edited by Tmcfarland

• 2 weeks later...