Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

new Caldwell G2 Chrono?

• 2 weeks later...

Didnt work for me.  Sending it back. It said my 230 gr factory ACP was going 1,450 fps!  I troed everything to get it to work. Even when i put it in complete shade under the rear hatch of my truck it said the same ammo was only doint 825 and it should be near 890 fps. So i cant use it and am sending it back. I liked everything, the bluetooth interface, the app. Its great just didnt work. 

shot a little over 125 rifle test rounds here over the couple of weeks of owning it. I have had two error readings and that seemed to be due to the wind. I would have liked to see a sturdier tri-pod to have been a part of the package but its not really that bad.

I bought one a few weeks ago to chrono rounds before limited nationals and couldn't be happier. It was simple to set up and connecting to my phone was easy as pie. I look forward to using it more, but i would like to find a better tripod set up for it, 

• 3 weeks later...

Just received mine from Optics Planet today. It connected to my iPad and aside from getting a constant "reconnecting" pop up and the battery life indicator not always showing up, it appears to work.

However, it won't connect to my Android phone. The phone detects the chronograph, but says it cant communicate with it. Anyone else have this problem?

Anyone have their chronograph paired to 2 different devices (not at the same time)?

Thanks!

I've been trying to decide on this vs the Pro Chrono with Light and BT addons... prices winds up pretty close so not concerned about that, but would like to use at an indoor range at times.  Right or wrong, Caldwell has always stuck me as being the "cheap" option for any of it's products, so I'm kinda leary about dropping 2 bills on one, to be honest.  On paper it seems great idea, though.  Ideally I think I'd rather just get one of those labradar's though :).

I went through the same thing. I had an old Pro Chrono that finally bit the dust. I went back and forth for months weighing the pro's and con's of each unit. Finally I decided on the Caldwell G2 and have been happy with it. It has been very good picking up shots something my old Pro Chrono struggled with under different lighting conditions. The tripod is that comes with the G2 is marginal at best. I decided not to use the one provided with the unit and use my old tripod that uses the 1/4" x 20 screw instead of the quick connect. 

I went ahead and ordered one... I actually looked at several, the PACT MKIV, the Pro Chrono, the CED M2 - I actually had it down the the CED (Plus Dillon sells them so that is usually a good sign) but read reports of it being finicky to setup and somewhat dated s/w, plus indoor screens were $90 more.  Anyway, the G2 hit's all the items on the checklist so will give it a go.  I can always return if It doesn't work out and try the CED instead.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/7/2016 at 4:06 AM, 78Staff said:

I went ahead and ordered one... I actually looked at several, the PACT MKIV, the Pro Chrono, the CED M2 - I actually had it down the the CED (Plus Dillon sells them so that is usually a good sign) but read reports of it being finicky to setup and somewhat dated s/w, plus indoor screens were $90 more.  Anyway, the G2 hit's all the items on the checklist so will give it a go.  I can always return if It doesn't work out and try the CED instead.

I posted below on the other G2 thread, but figured would follow up here as well... Short version is mine had a bunch of errors once you started looking at higher velocities, ie 1200+.  650-1100 seemed to work ok, but once I started shooting 10mm it didn't fare well.

Shot mine for first time today, outdoors, plenty of light, but got a lot of Err2 and Err3's... sometimes it worked, sometimes it didn't.  Tripod is junk, as many have stated, I used a different tripod.  When it worked it was nice, BT paired up no problems and I was able to save several strings, although they included a bunch of errors...  I'd say out of 60 shots at least 20-25 didn't read.  Seemed to not like higher velocity, that;s where the errors started happening.  45acp worked well, once I started pushing 10mm at higher velocities ie 1200-1400 is when the errors started piling up.  Not sure if there is setting for higher velocity?  Anyway, it's likely going back.  I"ll either grab a Pro Chrony or just splurge on the LabRadar maybe.

Edit - for those still wanting one, the G2 is $140 at Amazon right now... It was $189 two weeks ago when I bought mine.

Edited by 78Staff

Took my G2 out to the range last week.  The chrono function itself was fine - only a few Err2 and Err3 over approx 100 rounds fired. 

Big issue was with the Bluetooth and app.  On my iPad, I could only be a few feet away from the chrono before my iPad would lose the connection.  If I placed the iPad right at the foot of the tripod it would work fine, but that defeats the purpose of Bluetooth and the app.  I still couldn't get my android phone to work with the G2 at the range. 

However, once I got home, I deleted the app from my phone and reinstalled it. The G2 paired up with my phone once I did that and the range seems much better - I tested it out to about 10' using my kid's Nerf gun.

Hopefully, my next range trip will be better. 

Pro Chono and BT module arrived Wed, likely heading to range tomorrow or over the weekend to try it out.  Initial setup in the LR went fine, paired without issue, etc.

Also I notice G2 back up over $170 now at Amazon, so that $140 price apparently didn't last long.  

EDIT - 

Shot the Pro Chrono today, No issues at all.  Set on tripod, turn it on, Phone app connected, and every shot registered, no errors.  Seem like there are a lot of people using the G2 with no issues though, so maybe I just got a lemon.  Anyway happy with the PC.  Also a guy at the range had a PACT Professional XP Chrono, it was pretty nice too, had the remote box via wire and seemed to work well once setup - they had some issues getting it algined/set just right, but once that was good it worked pretty weel.  Had built in printer too, but twice as much I think.

Edited by 78Staff

• 6 months later...

I Just used  a friends G2. It set up easily including the bt sync. No error messages. I didn't have to write stuff down. All in all I was very pleased.  When I chronoed at he A5 my 173 pf load came in at 168.  Has anyone compared results between the g2 and the m2?