Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Oven temperature to dry wet-cleaned brass ?

I've read somewhere 300 or less...

I use a toaster oven, set to 280 for 1/2 hour... Works fine.

Brass comes out spotless if you do the towel/shake/tumble dry method first... Extra 1-2 minutes of work, for shinier brass.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They have been laying outside in the Arizona sun for two days now.

On a screen door hung horizontally two feet above a concrete patio so air can flow freely about them.

Not sure if they're totally dry yet.

I clean all my brass in a sonic cleaner.

When the brass is removed from the sonic cleaner it is rinsed in distilled water, then evenly spread out on a beach towel on top of my outdoor barbecue island in the Mesa, AZ sun.

I typically leave the brass out in the sun for 5-7 hours. I have never had a single piece discolor or tarnish because it was not properly dried..

There have been a couple of very rare occasions when it was raining and/or cold and cloudy in Mesa. In those instances, the brass was evenly distributed on aluminum foil on a couple of cookie sheets and placed in the oven at 200 degrees for a couple of hours.

Same results . . . . no discoloration or tarnishing.

I do a one-minute rinse with denatured alcohol. Spread the brass out and it will air-dry in an hour or two. The alcohol is re-usable and can be poured back into the container. Make sure it's a well-ventilated area so the fumes can disperse.

Acetone will dry even quicker, but it's volatile and flammable, so be careful.

(Yes, so is alcohol, if not as bad as acetone, but most people are familiar with alcohol.)

I use a DAA brass dryer (same thing as some dehydrators) temp is 165 for 35 minutes... 1000 pcs of 9mm completely dry after wet pin cleaning..

I de-prime all my brass before cleaning

Edited by cecil

Trust me on this an try it.. Instead of using dawn dish soap, substitute it for a car wash and wax (I have used Meguiars Ultimate) most likely you have the car wash in your garage. My recipe using the FA wet tumbler is

1 tablespoon of the car wash and wax

1/4 Teaspoon of Lemishine

I fill with hot water and rinse really good with cold. I strain the water really good and toss it on a beach towel and fold the corners into the middle and shake any excess water. I dry overnight because I'm not in a big hurry but if I strain really well I could ALMOST load them immediately. 6 months to this day and the brass has no tarnishing or water marks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 months later...

Even easier and cheaper. It's spring/summer, take them outside in the sun

Yep, my black granite outdoor table is 127F right now and the steel bed of one of my trailers is 155F. 30 min on either and what was wet will be dry if it's made of metal and that's with 39% humidity.

Edited by jmorris

Brass doesn't start to anneal until about 490 degrees so anything under 450 is perfectly safe.

But there's no point in going that high, the brass will be dry before it gets that hot. I throw mine in the oven and set for 180. When it gets to that temp I shut it off and crack the door open. Wait a couple hours for it to get back to room temp and it's completely dry. However, I deprime before wet tumbling so ymmv.