Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Federal SPP Shortage

turbopower18

Anyone have any insight on why Federal Small Pistol Primers are nonexistent? My guy has had a order in for a year for 250k with no luck on getting it filled. I see them every now and then at Cabelas but not very often. Didn't know if someone may have a in with Federal and know what the deal is.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did he place an order that was ignored or canceled? Has he actually followed up? One of the biggest gun stores in the country is in my city, and the retards who run the reloading section regularly had orders canceled by Hodgdon because they were ordering a ton of stuff that wasn't available, and THEY WEREN'T FOLLOWING UP. They literally just wondered why stuff wasn't coming in. We are talking about a couple years of failure to follow through/provide due diligence. If you blindly send a purchase order for 400lbs of Titegroup and only 250lbs is available, your order will be canceled, or ignored until the exact quantity is available to fulfill the purchase order, or the purchase order will expire as laid out in the terms.

I know a lot of people who have as many Federal SPPs as they can possibly shoot. I just use a reliable gun, that way I can use any small primer.

In the past few months, I have been unable to find them in bulk, either. The big suppliers can't seem to get them. The only place I've found them is at my local Gander Mountain, and they want $3.99 per hundred. I can get Federal Match SPP for $0.01 more per hundred, so that one cent per hundred is ridiculous. I only use them in my 32-20 cowboy loads since my revolvers are very tuned and have very light triggers. I suspect that Federal is using them all loading their 9mm ammunition, which is also hard to find since everyone and their brother is buying them by the cart load.

I can use any primer in my 2011. May have to up the mainspring a couple pounds to do so but thats no issue. I just prefer Federal as ive ran them for years with 0 issues of lightstrikes. Take in consideration i could run others reliably im sure I just prefer Federal and was hoping someone on the forum may have some insight on the issue at hand

Noooo stop buying federals and let the revolver guys get them!! :devil: Im down to 1000 federal primers and my revolver will not ignite anything but federals deep seated. Same boat here searching for federals locally with no luck.

Fed match spp are readily available.

Where? I haven't seen them from my usual sources. Nothing but magnums anyhow.

And want to keep the price in the $32-33 per k range.

edit,

"My usual places" = the following

3rd Generation
Powder Valley
Widener's
Midsouth
Natchez
Graf's
Midway
I have seen them @ Cabela's. But the price puts them at 42.50 per k shipped with tax in 20K quantity. I can pick them up locally when they have them for under $700 (32 per K + tax)
Edited by rhowell309

40 per k is what I paid....

they were the first primers I was able to get after a long drought.

the same shop wants 39 per k for CCI small pistol.

I do not like the price, however, getting them is, at times, the real problem.

miranda

I've been back ordered with grafs for 25k for a couple months now. Haven't heard hide nor hair, and they usually call to let me know. I noticed the usual powders are selling out quick again. All I can assume is the panic buying has just started to kick in. I foresee it getting ugly in the following months. I'm not desperate enough to pay single package prices.... Which also means my IDPA revolver will be sitting in the safe till it levels back. I can't find a primer as soft as Federal SPP. I've tried the gamut of them. Its either add some weight to the trigger or shoot something else. So I'll be playing open division USPSA for a while. My 2011 ignites everything, including small rifle primers...

Noooo stop buying federals and let the revolver guys get them!! :devil: Im down to 1000 federal primers and my revolver will not ignite anything but federals deep seated. Same boat here searching for federals locally with no luck.

People still use Revolvers!? You know there is such divisions that allow you to use doublestack magazines and you can fill them up! Some even hold 30rds!! lol Sorry I couldnt pass the opportunity up! Best of luck in your search for hens teeth like me!!

I've been back ordered with grafs for 25k for a couple months now. Haven't heard hide nor hair, and they usually call to let me know. I noticed the usual powders are selling out quick again. All I can assume is the panic buying has just started to kick in. I foresee it getting ugly in the following months. I'm not desperate enough to pay single package prices.... Which also means my IDPA revolver will be sitting in the safe till it levels back. I can't find a primer as soft as Federal SPP. I've tried the gamut of them. Its either add some weight to the trigger or shoot something else. So I'll be playing open division USPSA for a while. My 2011 ignites everything, including small rifle primers...

Have you tried Fiocchi? I've heard/read they're on the soft side. I went through a box of them a while ago with no issues, but never tried them in any light-spring guns.

People still use Revolvers!? You know there is such divisions that allow you to use doublestack magazines and you can fill them up! Some even hold 30rds!! lol Sorry I couldnt pass the opportunity up! Best of luck in your search for hens teeth like me!!

30 rounds??!!! :surprise: Now thats ridiculous .. And let me guess when you pull the trigger it automatically loads the next round?.... I aint buying it. :goof:

lol yea the revolver bug has a hold of me right now. I do have a limited setup and open but revo has the most of my interest. My ego likes placing high in the standings and its a lot easier to take 3rd with only 3 competitiors. :roflol:

From a friend who works at Federal

"We are running at capacity right now and just keeping up with loaded round demand for the most part. We have got an expansion plan in the works right now to increase supply"

Jon

"We are running at capacity right now and just keeping up with loaded round demand for the most part. We have got an expansion plan in the works right now to increase supply"

Jon

This is what I was looking for. Someone with a in at Federal. Tell your friend to start working doubles we all need some primers!!!

Jon

This is what I was looking for. Someone with a in at Federal. Tell your friend to start working doubles we all need some primers!!!

If they already running at capacity..... working doubles won't change anything.

Would be nice if they could redesign their boxes as well to match the size of cci. It would save them tons on material cost and save us all a tons of space in our reloading rooms and shipping costs and....

Would be nice if they could redesign their boxes as well to match the size of cci. It would save them tons on material cost and save us all a tons of space in our reloading rooms and shipping costs and....

You're assuming that they randomly decided to use bulkier and more expensive packaging despite having a financial disincentive to do that.

Folks like federal primers because they're easier to ignite. Primers that are easier to ignite require greater physical separation to prevent sympathetic ignition if one primer is set off.

Fed match spp are readily available.

Where? I haven't seen them from my usual sources. Nothing but magnums anyhow.

And want to keep the price in the $32-33 per k range.

edit,

"My usual places" = the following

3rd Generation

Powder Valley

Widener's

Midsouth

Natchez

Graf's

Midway

I have seen them @ Cabela's. But the price puts them at 42.50 per k shipped with tax in 20K quantity. I can pick them up locally when they have them for under $700 (32 per K + tax)

Just ordered more today. Bullets.com