Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

JP GMR-13 9mm Carbine help with options please

ktm300

I am a USPSA B class pistol shooter that has shot some rifle and shotgun but I know very little about rifles.

I have three uses for a 9mm carbine.

Use #1 is to have in the house as my primary home defense with a can on it. I will have a Silencerco Omega 9k in a few months (I hope). From reading things I don't think I want to pin and weld it on and I don't want to have to ask permission to travel with it, so I am pretty settled on a 16" barrel.

Use #2 is to have something quiet to shoot varmints on my property. I have way to many raccoons, ground hogs, coyotes, etc running around. All should be 100 yards or less.

Use #3 is to shoot USPSA PCC and some local 3 gun in the winter just because it sounds like fun and I would like to learn how to shoot a rifle.

JP offers multiple hand guards that all look about the same to me. I have no idea which one to pick and most are the same price. Rapid Configuration or Signature, then length of 7", 9.25", 12.5" or 15.5" Other than a light and an optic I have no idea what other stuff I would put on it.

I need to buy an optic for it and I am unsure about the best choice. I would like to keep the budget for the optic in the < $500 range.

Is it worth the $200 to go to the Machined Upper Receiver over the forged one?

There are several options on stocks and grips. Any advice as to a good choice on those would help too.

Any other options my use needs?

Any help or suggestions will be appreciated.

Edited by ktm300

#1. You aren't asking for permission, you are telling the ATF you are taking you SBR out of state. A 16" barrel will be a lot quieter versus a short barrel, so there's that.

Do you know anyone who shoots rifles? Is there a range that rents rifles in your area with different configurations?

#1. You aren't asking for permission, you are telling the ATF you are taking you SBR out of state. A 16" barrel will be a lot quieter versus a short barrel, so there's that.

Do you know anyone who shoots rifles? Is there a range that rents rifles in your area with different configurations?

Ok point taken, but I still don't want to have to remember to fill out paperwork to travel to matches.

I live in Asheville NC. Not a whole lot of ranges much less ranges with cool toys to play with.

Many of the selections are pure personal preference. Many people may disagree on individual options of a build, and there is no "right" answer. Here are my thoughts on your question, for what little good they are.

I like the RC hand guards, especially since they added the knurling, longer is better, with just the comp sticking past.

Only two optic choices for me, Aimpoint micro, or Trijicon MRO.

For me the forged upper is better. It is lighter, and I am not such a fan of the side charger.

I prefer the UBR stock, it is heavy and balances the gun better, and is very solid. As for grip I prefer to sand and stipple a stock grip to my tastes, or sand and add grip tape.

Good luck!

i'd say you want as long a forearm as possible given your barrel length, so that you can reach out more with your support hand. i think 15.5 is the longest and should work well with 16" + comp.

i just bought one on gunbroker (it's in the ups truck somewhere now) and ordered a c-more railway tactical (has a small spacer to raise it up a little) 6moa red dot for it. pretty much the standard for uspsa open class so i figure it will work well here too.

as noted above, most of the options are personal preference. i'd def give JP a call and ask them to walk you thru the options and their preferences.

i just went with the jp15 upper, didn't think their ctr was needed for a plain jane 9mm, but maybe the ctr is a little lighter.

fyi midway has glock 33 rounders on sale for 31+ and botach for 30+ if you get five.

I like the signature series for the asthetics, and is what is on mine, and it matches the Jp15 i have.

Upper is a jp15 upper, I haven't ever thought that I should have gotten a ctr upper (not sure it was even available when I got mine).

Mine is a 14.5" with pinned brake and the 12.5" hg.

Does the O9k have mounts or direct thread? If a mount see if you can send Jp a mount and get them to pin it to a 14.5" (assuming the mount takes it over 16"). Might as well go a short as you can without Sbr'ing

Cheapo red dot and ace arfx stock

533B21AD-EEFF-4175-B0F8-3C75D6A4BA93_zps

Edited by ropsitos

A 16" with a suppressor seems like it would be really long, front heavy, and unwieldy for home defense. A PCC is already pretty quiet if you're worried about hearing loss; although, I would choose a 5.56mm for home defense, ears be damned :D

For optic I'd go Aimpoint. Either a Pro or maybe you can find a used micro (H-1 or T-1) for around your budget.

Well, just to close the loop. Ordered a 16" with the 15.5" Rapid Config hand guard, TI7 stock and MAID grip. I have a friend that shoots open with a deltapoint pro and I have seen it and like it so that is what is going on the top.

The suppressor I have coming is only +- 5" so I still think the gun will be manageable inside and it is just not worth the hassle to try and do the 14.5"

Thanks again for the help in making up my mind. Now just 8 weeks +- to get the gun and who knows how long to get the suppressor.