Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

shooting glasses & ansi etc ratings

davsco

i've been chastised and rightly so for just wearing sunglasses. but now that i'm looking for impact protection, it seems ansi and related ratings are hard to come by. most of the oakley models talked about in shooting glasses threads here don't have actual ansi ratings (eg, tombstone). oakley says they (tombstones) meet the ansi rating but aren't stamped as such. seems same deal with rudy project. their rydon shooting kit doesn't have any ansi-stamped or even any ansi-rated lenses. they say their stealth models with impactx lenses meet ansi but aren't stamped and those just have photochromic options.

disclaimer, the above is from my review of their websites, phone calls and chat sessions. it's possible i was given bad info or misunderstood something and i welcome any incorrect or incomplete info being fixed.

in any event, how rigid is everyone on getting ansi-stamped glass, or is the manufacturer's word it meets ansi specs enough, or is anything called "shooting glasses" or having polycarbonate lenses enough for your comfort levels your eyes will be protected in the event of splash, case rupture, etc?

Just because lenses are made of polycarbonate does not mean they meet ANSI spec. The quality and the thickness of the poly matter. For pistol and rifle shooting I wear ANSI spec lenses. My lenses are interchangeable. They are not stamped ANSI on the surface of the glass, but they may be on the edges. I've never looked. I bought them from Morgan Optical. He had them ground from ANSI spec blanks and sent them to me. They are considerably thicker than the "standard" poly lenses they sell to shotgunners.

yep i read thru that page. while they talk about ansi, most of their models under their hunting/shooting category are not ansi-stamped. just seems most "shooting" glasses are more about visual acuity and lens colors for shooting and target contrast and less about having higher impact resistance than normally marketed general purpose sunglasses.

And here's why good eye wear is important. 2009 IDPA Indoor Nationals at Smith & Wesson. I took a full 38 Special bullet bounce-back from the backstop. Penetrated the poly-carbonate lens against my cheek bone just under the eye socket but did not harm me.

sn8501661xi9.jpg

their rydon shooting kit doesn't have any ansi-stamped or even any ansi-rated lenses. they say their stealth models with impactx lenses meet ansi but aren't stamped and those just have photochromic options.

There are Rudy Project Rydon lenses which have been tested and have ANSI certification:

http://www.rudyprojectusa.com/images/tactical/certs/rydonTT_ANSIZ87.1_PureGrey_cert.pdf

One of the recent episodes of Shooter's Mindset had a Rudy Project representative on and he said that they have a certain number of frames and lenses ANSI Z87.1 certified but if there are any differences to the tested pair they must be certified separately. Any changes including lens color or frame must be retested as a new unit so they would have to pay to test every lens and frame combination. The Rydon ImpactX lenses are all constructed the same, just not every lens with every frame has been ANSI certified. There is no reason the ImpactX lenses similar to those certified shouldn't pass according to him as they're all made the same.

Edited by jtielke

I saw a review of edge Eyewear on ttag, and it stood up to being shot with#7 shot from a12ga. They are marketed as safety glasses. I've bought 4 pairs already. They are more stylish than the 3m ones I was wearing and seem to last longer.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

I'm a safety guy and have bought many pairs of safety glasses online, particularly www.safetyglassesusa.com. They carry virtually every model of safety glasses, including shooting glasses, made. I'm sure you can find a model that will perform and look good.

I know that this takes the topic in a bit of a different direction but which companies off mil-rated shooting glasses that are prescription? I'm nearing 50 and though I can see my front sight fine the 25 yard shots are difficult because the target is blurry.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...

I've had ESS and they eventually get buffed from cleaning until they get noticeably blurry just like any other inexpensive safety glasses.

I prefer Rudy because they don't buff out from rubbing and if they do get blurry/scratched they replace them for $20.

I currently sport the Rudy impactx sport readers. Perfect for shooting and scoring targets!