Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best 18" 3Gun Barrel

rtr

Looking for 18" rifle gas 223 barrel for 3gun. Want weight in the 30-35oz area, want better than 1 MOA accuracy. What have you used and recommend?

I have purchased two barrels from Odin Works now and they have both been fantastic sub moa barrels with sub moa guarantees. There $290 and you can upgrade to an adjustable gas block for about $54 more. 2.16 pounds.

As far as the best, thats going to cost a lot more...

The best is what you can afford that fits your criteria. I run a Criterion 18" barrel with rifle gas system. Superb shooting barrel. I do not know the weight, but my whole rifle less optic is just under 8 pounds.

I think that about all else I would add is that I think there are LOTS of great choices at or under the 300.00 mark. I would not spend 550.00 on a 3 gun barrel. I call it "good" when I can shoot a 10 round group that's about an inch. If you search high and low for a 10 round 1/2" group you will be searching and tuning ammo for a long long time. Also remember that a 10 round group will be on average 2x the size of a 3 round group and provide a better picture of performance.

JP barrels come with a headspaced JP enhanced bolt, which by itself is like $125.

They just dont do a good job explaining this on their website. So technically this brings it into the $300 ish range, which is great for the performance you get out of a JP.

Edited by Snowgun

I think that about all else I would add is that I think there are LOTS of great choices at or under the 300.00 mark. I would not spend 550.00 on a 3 gun barrel. I call it "good" when I can shoot a 10 round group that's about an inch. If you search high and low for a 10 round 1/2" group you will be searching and tuning ammo for a long long time. Also remember that a 10 round group will be on average 2x the size of a 3 round group and provide a better picture of performance.

So, spill the beans, which one did you find under $300 that does 10shot 0.5MOA?

I never said that I found a 300.00 barrel that will shoot .5 MOA. People claim all the time ".5MOA" gun, i'm simply skeptical and if they are shooting .5MOA then its likely a 3 shot one off group. I have a DD 18" STW and a 16" Micro MOA that I have been happy with and both shoot about an inch or so.

The original question was what 18" barrel do I use and recommend. I have settled on and use two brands of 18" barrels, in 3 profiles. The first is a Seekins 18", it is fairly heavy, but is the most resistant to POI shift, it will make the hard shot before or after shooting the rest of the rifle targets. The other two are JP 18" barrels, the light and the medium. They both perform the same, really well, just not as tight as the Seekins, but they are lighter, and easier to shoot off hand. The medium swings and points the best for me, but the light is a close second, and amazingly enough is lighter. I am not as good a bench shooter as most of the guys on this board, I consider a 1" group to be pretty darn good at a 100 yards. My groups are a bit smaller when I cheat and use magnification, but even with a 3 gun scope they are not much smaller, I guess I am just not cool enough. A good shooting barrel for my money is one that can hit all the steel on the long range stage at the Ironman from the base of the slide with no more extra shots than where taken from the top of the slide (hopefully not many). There are probably a lot of barrels that are good enough to win with for our game, but these are the ones that I use. The whole "is it the indian or the arrow?" argument comes into play here, as a good shooter can do a lot with less than ideal gear. So I will recommend that you buy the Seekins barrel, because it is cheaper and Glen is a good guy, when you have just about shot it out, order a JP or a Black hole, and give one (or both) of those a whirl.

Here is a 3 shot group from a $100.00 bargain barrel with Mark 262 Ammo. 18" 1/7" twist with rifle length gas (SPR Mod 0). Both barrels are Black Hole Weaponry units.8ad98de18c0aa50ba3aff2497b12db7c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here's my 5 shot group at 300 yards with a 6x swaro, with a mid america armament barrel. The flyer was my fault, when your only using a 6x everything has to be perfect.

post-39253-0-96284500-1463422645_thumb.j

Edited by billdozer