Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Looking for a gun for uspsa and ultimately 3 Gun

I am currently looking at the following guns for getting into my local uspsa and 3 gun matches in the following order of interest.

Rock Island Standard 22tcm/9mm 51687-(can get used for cheap) Would need a magwell for it

Rock Island Armory 9MM 1911 TAC Ultra FS HC -51679 (is the extra cost worth it?

I am a college student so money is a little bit of an issue.

When I went to the local gunshop I think they had an HC Rock Island in 40 but I cant remember what model it was.

**this one possibly?

Armscor Rock Island Hi Cap Tactical 1911 .40 S&W 51782

I'll end up putting a little money into the gun as I go long so I wanna get a gun that will evolve with me and is gonna work.

Also what magazines work with these guns. Couldnt really find anything.

If I am not mistaken the Rock Islands would put me in limited for uspsa right?

Thanks for the help

Edited by jschroep

I believe I was able to hold the glock 34 cz sp 01 and the Rock Island 40. Of all of them the 1911 felt more natural. If I end up in limited thats fine.

I think im kinda locked on a 1911/2011 style gun to be honest. They just feel better than the glock and the cz just felt weird in my hands.

As far as caliber goes... should I get a 40 or a 9. Is the major and minor scoring factor a huge deal?

Minor and major scoring in Limited can make a good difference, but it might not be worth it unless you're setup to reload 40.

I'd go with 9mm and just deal with the scoring difference for now because it will be cheaper to shoot and you mentioned money being an issue.

In limited, you get more points in non-A hits. If you only hit the A zone, 9mm is way better. But if you miss the A zone on occasion....40 is better.

Recoil will be more with 40 factory ammo too.

But if you're just learning to game it, 9mm is probably better as it will allow you 15-20% shots in practice than 40 for the same $.

If you don't reload get a 9mm.Id try and see if some one will let you shoot an xd,maybe hit a steel shoot and talk to some guys with an xd you'll probably have offers to shoot one.I shoot a rock island .40 pro match and my son has an xd 9.His nine is as accurate as my 40 but just starting out it comes with 3 mags a speed loader and holster so if money's an issue it would be a great way to get started and there are lots of used ones out there at good prices.It'll get you in the game at a good price and you can spend the extra dollars you would spend on magazines and holster on ammo.

• 3 weeks later...