Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

X-Treme Bullets 165gr 9mm

jwilkinson6

I've been experimenting just recently with 165 xtremes and titegroup for a BUG load for IDPA. In my DW ECO, I have problems with the slide cycling relialibly with 2.5 gr. loaded to 1.144. This is after having a gunsmith come up with a custom spring that turns out is a cut down Glock spring. Interestingly enough, my wife's stock DW PM-9 will run the same ammo perfectly. I have not chronoed yet since I'm still working on getting the gun RUNNING with this combo, but I'd like to get as close to a PF of 100 as I can. The 165's with 2.5 titegroup are softer than my standard IDPA/USPSA loading of Bayou 147FP's over 4.1gr power pistol, but I'm not sure yet if the few I've tried @ 2.7 titegroup (that run the gun) are enough softer to bother with the press recalibration and ammo inventory separation. Now if I could get down close to 600 FPS with a running gun, that would be worth it provided that at the same time it had acceptable accuracy.

If I can get this figured out, the next challenge will be the wife's P-320sc with it's captured recoil spring assembly.

JD

editied to correct the grains used with titegroup. it's 2.5 and 2.7 not 3.5 and 3.7 as previously posted.

JD

Edited by jdlincoln

I tested the 165 grain Xtremes in my Tanfo Limited. Load was 2.7 grains Titegroup 1.140 OAL, CCI spp. PF was right at 125, gun was sluggish with 11 oz slide weight and 8lb recoil spring but it has almost no recoil. Bunny fart load. Reasonably accurate at 25 yards. You would probably want to bump that to 3 grains and gun would still shoot like a .380 lol.

Do you guys think that a 165 over 2.5-3 grains of titegroup would function reliably in a G34? Or would it be a safer bet to just run a 147gr bullet?

I would load 3 grains Titegroup with a 165gr Xtreme for your G34. You may need to drop some weight in the recoil spring department. 17lb is factory so you may need to use a 15lb or even a 13lb. Springs are cheap to try, also you could have some weight cut out of the slide so it will cycle faster.

Edited by MrPostman

Do you guys think that a 165 over 2.5-3 grains of titegroup would function reliably in a G34? Or would it be a safer bet to just run a 147gr bullet?

I would load 3 grains Titegroup with a 165gr Xtreme for your G34. You may need to drop some weight in the recoil spring department. 17lb is factory so you may need to use a 15lb or even a 13lb. Springs are cheap to try, also you could have some weight cut out of the slide so it will cycle faster.

You think that the stock setup will be too sluggish with that load?

I would go with with 147. A bullet that heavy (165) with a very fast powder is a fairly high pressure load. Bumping the load up further bumps up the pressure. If going that way you may as well use a lighter bullet (135, 147) with a little more powder and get a safer load that cycles the gun properly and is likely to be more accurate.

I would go with with 147. A bullet that heavy (165) with a very fast powder is a fairly high pressure load. Bumping the load up further bumps up the pressure. If going that way you may as well use a lighter bullet (135, 147) with a little more powder and get a safer load that cycles the gun properly and is likely to be more accurate.

Im loading these rounds for a limited minor gun so as long as I can make minor PF that's really all that's necessary from a performance standpoint, my real goal here is to drive down recoil as much as possible to help further limit the points deficit Im at with the limited minor gun.

I load 2.7 of titegroup with 165's for my 34. Makes 130pf for me anywhere anytime.

So I'm curious as to what sort of accuracy you are getting at 25 yards with a 790 fps / 165g load with a G34s barrel twist rate.

I run one of the older Wilson 1/10 twist barrels. I've never bench rested it but it's plenty accurate enough for me to shoot 0's / A's at acceptable speed at 25yds for me.

I load 2.7 of titegroup with 165's for my 34. Makes 130pf for me anywhere anytime.

So I'm curious as to what sort of accuracy you are getting at 25 yards with a 790 fps / 165g load with a G34s barrel twist rate.

I run one of the older Wilson 1/10 twist barrels. I've never bench rested it but it's plenty accurate enough for me to shoot 0's / A's at acceptable speed at 25yds for me.

And you haven't seen any issues with bullet stabilization?

It depends on the barrel. A 9mm barrel these days can be anywhere from 354 to 356 which means bullets between 355 and 357 are within scope depending on what your barrel slugs to. It's worth slugging your barrel to find out.

It depends on the barrel. A 9mm barrel these days can be anywhere from 354 to 356 which means bullets between 355 and 357 are within scope depending on what your barrel slugs to. It's worth slugging your barrel to find out.

Zero issues. Only guys I've seen tumbling 165's (or anything really) is a crimp issue.

Zero issues. Only guys I've seen tumbling 165's (or anything really) is a crimp issue.

My benchmark for accuracy for any load is holding no more than 6 inches at 25 yards rested. The reason being that a 6 inch falling plate at 25 yards is the smallest target you will practically engage in USPSA. I guess that I'll have to order and load some samples to test them myself to satisfy my curiosity.