Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

X-Treme Bullets 165gr 9mm

jwilkinson6

I load 2.7 of titegroup with 165's for my 34. Makes 130pf for me anywhere anytime.

So I'm curious as to what sort of accuracy you are getting at 25 yards with a 790 fps / 165g load with a G34s barrel twist rate.
I run one of the older Wilson 1/10 twist barrels. I've never bench rested it but it's plenty accurate enough for me to shoot 0's / A's at acceptable speed at 25yds for me.

And you haven't seen any issues with bullet stabilization?

Zero issues. Only guys I've seen tumbling 165's (or anything really) is a crimp issue.

My benchmark for accuracy for any load is holding no more than 6 inches at 25 yards rested. The reason being that a 6 inch falling plate at 25 yards is the smallest target you will practically engage in USPSA. I guess that I'll have to order and load some samples to test them myself to satisfy my curiosity.

Let me know what you find out if you do, I ended up going with Xtreme's 147gr plated Hollow point, but if the 165gr bullets can be stabilized sufficiently i'd be very interested in shooting them.

I have loaded and shot over 5000 165 gr Xtremes through my Glock 34 Gen 4 with stock barrel and recoil spring assembly. 2.8 gr of Titegroup at 1.155 OAL gives me reliable power factor, and acceptable accuracy. I've never had a problem with stabilization or cycling.

I load 2.7 of titegroup with 165's for my 34. Makes 130pf for me anywhere anytime.

So I'm curious as to what sort of accuracy you are getting at 25 yards with a 790 fps / 165g load with a G34s barrel twist rate.

I run one of the older Wilson 1/10 twist barrels. I've never bench rested it but it's plenty accurate enough for me to shoot 0's / A's at acceptable speed at 25yds for me.

The A Box is pretty big on a standard USPSA target.

Ive made head shots on IDPA targets at 25 with 165's plenty of times. Never took the time to try with uspsa targets. The time spent to focus on the head A on farther shots is rarely worth the point difference in most cases, even shooting minor.

• 11 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I loaded 3.2 grains of Long shot and was getting 845fps out of a 14.5" PCC. They were quiet for long shot and sub sonic.  They were accurate but had too much drop for a good multi-gun load.

On 5/13/2016 at 1:11 PM, Boxerglocker said:

My benchmark for accuracy for any load is holding no more than 6 inches at 25 yards rested. The reason being that a 6 inch falling plate at 25 yards is the smallest target you will practically engage in USPSA. I guess that I'll have to order and load some samples to test them myself to satisfy my curiosity.

That's an awfully large group for 25 yards. I wouldn't be happy until I was at least sub 2 inches for sure with my load. Current open set up and load gives me a 1.5 inch group at 25.

So I'm not too good at math, but wouldn't it require a perfect deadcenter hold on a 6 inch target at 25 yards while shooting a load that delivered a 6 inch group at 25 yards  to produce a 100% probability of a hit? Anything less that a perfect deadcenter hold would drop the probability of a hit by an amount corresponding to the amount of shift. If you had a load that shot a 3 inch group at 25 yards, you could generate a 100% hit rate while holding in a 3 inch circle centered on the target. Right? The more accurate the load, the less perfect my hold needs to be up to a point - and I need all the help I can get.

6 inches also sounds fairly large to me.  Note that I am talking the mechanical accuracy of a pistol with a specific load not taking into account any human error.  If I was getting a 6" group, I would be looking for problems to solve to bring it back down.  Even standing unsupported I can usually get groups at 25 down into the 4" range consistently, a little smaller on occasion.

• 4 weeks later...

I've been shooting 165's for the past year and a half 3 gr titegroup at 1.145 oal. 13 lb recoils spring in my cz and 10lb in my stock 2. Very soft shooting. The sights barely move and no prob doing a bill drill in under 2 seconds. Just as accurate as anything else I've shot. Easily more accurate than I am standing off hand..