Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Light Primer Strikes

AlphaChaser

I've been working up loads for ICORE with CCI small pistol primers. I have also had the light strike issues (about 1-2 out of every 8 shots) in my 627 Pro when I set the strain screw to a trigger pull that feels competitive. I'm aware that Fed No100 Sm Pistol Primers are the way to go, but I am unable to acquire them anywhere.

I have now had to tighten my strain screw so far out from the stop (so that my 627 will reliable fire the CCI's) that the trigger pull weight is handicapping me in time and accuracy (mostly at the longer shots beyond 15 yards) and wearing me out after an afternoon of shooting/practice.

Do you folks have any suggestions for finding the Fed primers I need or for setting up my pistol so that I can make it work well with the primers that I can find? (I can find CCI's every where at this time, so no problem there).

Thanks,

AlphaChaser

For revolvers, CCI is one of the hardest primers to light off. If you cant find Federals, try using Winchesters, they are not as soft as federals obviously.

Use an aftermarket mainspring like the Bang Inc spring, or a modified stock

use a lighter weight rebound spring

try an aftermarket firing pin like the Apex / C&S ( or a factory pin that measures 0.495" )

seat your primers fully, .006"-.010" below flush.

I agree. Switch to win and keep hunting for fed.

A few guys I know with revos seat primers by hand to get them below flush. At least for their match ammo. A new firing pin should help too.

If you are loading on a Dillon, I believe you can adjust the priming ram to smash the primers a little bit further in to the pocket.

A few guys I know with revos seat primers by hand to get them below flush. At least for their match ammo. A new firing pin should help too.

If you are loading on a Dillon, I believe you can adjust the priming ram to smash the primers a little bit further in to the pocket.

Not sure about all Dillon's but not true on 550 or 650. Sure, you can fool with mods and get a tiny bit more depth but they are not truly adjustable. My 550 and 650 seat below flush just fine.

The only dillon with primer depth adjudtment is the 1050. It's not adjustable on 550/650/sdb.

Thanks guys. I put in an order with Cabelas for 2 years worth of Fed no 100's about a month ago, so hopefully I'll get them by the end of the year!

Win primers till get Feds--check

Seat primers below flush--check

Real Trigger job--check

New firing pin--check, but would you recommend this if I'll eventually be using Feds?

I have not, but i was able to pick some Fed No 200's, Small Pistol Magnum Match. Truly, they are the ONLY small pistol Federal primers I've seen in perhaps 7-8 months around here. I'm fairly sure the match part is a quality control improvement (not that I've ever had a problem with Federals). The magnum part, well, from my research, it does not cause much, if any, of a pressure increase, just better burning of the powder (cleaner) and perhaps 12-15 more fps.

I'm loading my ICORE rounds now thusly:

R-P .38 Special brass

Badman 157gn polymer coated lead bullet

4.2gn HP-38 (=Win 231)

With CCI 500's, I'm getting 775fps average (chronographed)

With the Fed No 200's, estimating 787=790fps, which is just about perfect (for ICORE)

I have on order Starline 38 LC brass and will see how I do with these Fed No 200's until my Cabelas order of No 100's come in.

• 1 month later...

Problem solved:

Was able to find a generous supply of Fed No 100 Sm Pistol Primers. Loaded them as follows:

38 Long Colt Starline brass

Badman 157gn bullets

HP-38 (Win 231 equivalent), 3.8gn

Fed No 100 Primers

I now can set my trigger pull much lighter than with other primers with 100% reliability. Now Federal needs to open up their distribution on Fed No 100 primer...that was the key.

Edited by AlphaChaser