Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Primers

rolen1517

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Generally manufactures recommend mag primers in calibers such as 357 and 38 super because of the charage volume and powder type. Most load their 9mm long which technically turns it into a short 38 super, it seems logical to use Win SPM (or simular), and their the same price as the SP. Excellent results here so far but agree with most, if it goes bang and chronos well, use it.

I've used a lot of Win SRP and CCI 400 (SRP), with good performance. The Rem 6-1/2s I've used have all gone bang, but not as much experience with them. 2011 with 17# mainspring and regular FP.

DON'T get S&B SR primers. Hard as stone.

This here is bad info. S&B run fine, they are so soft the loader puts marks on them. I tested some last year and then bought 20k. They run.

Edited by 3gunDQ

This here is bad info. S&B run fine, they are so soft the loader puts marks on them. I tested some last year and then bought 20k. They run.
Rifle primers?

Most issues with light strikes I have know of are striker fire pistols with the shooter looking for really light triggers. All the primers work fine and will fire in any gun until you start messing with them. Then it's a primer issue/question. I shot wolf just last week at The Florida section, I shot Tula at Area 6. Get your guns right and they will run them all. I run a 2lb trigger with 17lb main spring now , I ran a 15lb main spring at the Florida Section with sub 2lb trigger w/o issue I just prefer the feel of a 2lb. A 2011 should not have issues with any primers. Good luck.

Does anyone have any luck with Winchester small or rifle primers ?

I use just about any small pistol or rifle primer interchangeably for pistol except NATO/556 primers. They seem to be harder than other rifle primers and won't light reliably in my striker fired pistol and hammer fired is just a tad bit better.

I agree if you are referring to Small Pistol Primers, I've been using them in my Glock 34 with DK trigger & 3.5# striker spring and DW PM9 with 17# mainspring. But the Small Rifle primers were hard as a rock. Every other SR primer I've tried would go off with a 17# mainspring in my open gun, but not these. I'm saving the rest for my .223 loads.

• 2 months later...

Went to my local shooting supply store to get primers and they were out of my normal WSRP or CCI SRP. Didn't have much in SPP's either. They did have Winchester SP magnum primers. Any issues with these for open major?

gerritm

CCI 500 or 550. I have used 400s which are rifle primers due to primer flow issues I was having, an extended firing pin solved the primer flow problems so now I run 500s for better sealing to prevent breechface erosion.

I run winchester small rifle now . Ran winchester small pistol for years. A buddy talked me into running the small rifle. Can't really tell any difference. Have never had a problem with Winchester primers.

• 2 weeks later...