Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tri Top Weight Reduction

jrbet83

I tri-topped and had the barrel flush cut on a range officer champion. I didn't weigh it before, but my guess is between 1-2 ounces total. Not a ton, but it's on moving weight, so it helps to reduce recoil.

Also, a Tri topped slide looks like a big triangle from behind the gun. That makes it a lot easier to use the slide as a flash sight picture for close targets. top of the triangle is where the front sight is, so just line the triangle up with the close target and drop the hammer

Here's an example of a tritop on a 4" slide.

Before

IMG_4480.jpg

After

IMG_4490.jpg

While this tritop stops before the sights, the carry cuts up front would equal the metal removed.

Edited by v1911

I don't know an exact figure but, my USPSA SS 9mm makes weight even with a steel msh/magwell. Where as the Springfield RO in 9mm is really close even though I use the Hogue G10 grips/magwell. I know it's apples and oranges to some degree but I think the tri-top is the difference making with respect to weight.

Does it matter? It is really cool...

That's nice what benefits is there besides weight to the fluted barrel?

Thanks

whole idea was to reduce weight. 6" try-top slide with lightening cuts and fluted barrel ends up being lighter than a 5" gun. less reciprocating mass.