Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Eye Relief on Spotting Scopes

I was thinking of upgrading my spotting scope; I don't see as well as I used to. I have a Leupold Ventana 20-60 now. I went to look through a couple higher end scopes - Vortex Razor 20-60 and Swarovski 20-60. With my glasses on, all I could see was a small circle of light no matter how much I adjusted the eyepiece. With my glasses off, I could get right up close to the lens and see it better. But the range where I'd be using it doesn't allow you to take your shooting glasses off to look through the spotting scope. Does anyone have a similar problem? Which spotting scopes have better eye relief? Would a fixed magnificatin be any better?

It sounds like the long eye reliefs are fixed power. What power do I need (assuming good glass like the ones mentioned above) to clearly see .22 holes in the black at 200 yards? All the variable power scopes I was looking at go up to 60x, but I suspect that isn't necessary with quality glass.

I checked and the eyepiece can't be changed on the Ventana. But, that's not really the issue. It has 24-26 mm eye relief, which is usable but not ideal. The clarity and fine focus are the issues for me on that scope. The Vortex Razor has 18-20 mm eye relief, which makes it difficult for me to get close enough. The 30-32 mm eye relief on some of the fixed power optics sounds ideal.