Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm Trojan or 9mm Range Officer? Please help me decide ...

igolfat8

Looking at both of these to use for local unsanctioned Bowling Pin, Falling Steel and 3 Gun competition. There is about $500 difference in price that I could add a lot of goodies to the RO. I've shot the Trojan once and its pretty sweet but never a RO in 9mm. I'd be interested in some advice from those who have owned or shot both models.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have owned a spartan and currently own a RO compact to carry. They are both good choices, that's for sure. Either way you're going to want a magwel, so factor that in the price. My vote is the RO. You could spend some of that money getting the slide tri topped and some fun grips. Mine runs like an open gun and it's a blast to shoot.

I will ever buying an RO operator at some point too.

I have the RO and it is almost like cheating shooting 9mm through it. In my opinion, the Trojans are nothing better than the Springfields. They both need the same upgrades so save your $500 and put it in parts and magazines.

Mine runs like an open gun

So it's picky about everything and something always needs to be tweaked or tuned? :-D Only kidding...sort of.

A RO 9mm is my next gun purchase. I think the RO is the best bang for the buck out there.

Edited by CaptainOverkill

My advice would be get the Trojan... Front strap is already checkered, and front slide serration cuts, that covers the price difference if your planning on having it done to your RO. You'll actually save money because won't be playing the ed brown parts swap game like with the springfield. The sears and hammers are good quality tool steel and they last. Same with the extractors, just need tuning.

STI has great customer service too, so if you crack a slide or frame 120,000rds from now, they actually answer the phone and replace it.

Mine runs like an open gun

So it's picky about everything and something always needs to be tweaked or tuned? :-D Only kidding...sort of.

A RO 9mm is my next gun purchase. I think the RO is the best bang for the buck out there.

no, cycles fast, sights come straight back, and it runs so well it looks like I know what I'm doing ;)

post-29534-0-23308600-1462109498_thumb.j

OK, so you guys got me leaning towards the RO. What TEN round mags are you using and have found to be the most reliable?

What magwell do you suggest? I have a Dawson Ice on my Glocks and like them. When I looked at the Dawson magwell it looks like there is an opening for the magazine tab in the front. Is that right? I would think that could be a "hole" for the mag to snag in when making fast changes?

Steviesterno, What is the advantage of having the slide tri-topped?Is there a performance advantage or is it just a cool thang?

OK, so you guys got me leaning towards the RO. What TEN round mags are you using and have found to be the most reliable?

What magwell do you suggest? I have a Dawson Ice on my Glocks and like them. When I looked at the Dawson magwell it looks like there is an opening for the magazine tab in the front. Is that right? I would think that could be a "hole" for the mag to snag in when making fast changes?

Steviesterno, What is the advantage of having the slide tri-topped?Is there a performance advantage or is it just a cool thang

Tr-topping is a legal way to lighten a slide in S. S.

Edited by The Donald

Steviesterno, What is the advantage of having the slide tri-topped?Is there a performance advantage or is it just a cool thang

So what is the performance benefit?

I just bought a used RO 9mm and it runs great. Previous owner added a magwell, custom grips, and did some trigger work. Also added grip tape to front strap. No issues so far - about 500 rounds of my reloads (124 Bayous with WSF).

I am using the Brownells 9mm 1911 10 round mags - I think these are a "gen 2". Price is right and the six I bought have been flawless so far.

Steviesterno, What is the advantage of having the slide tri-topped?Is there a performance advantage or is it just a cool thang?

Tri topping lightens the moving parts of the gun, so the slide cycles faster. Gets more of the mass below the bore axis, and reduces felt recoil. Shaving weight lets you put heavy grips or a magwell on it if you want. Plus it looks cool.

I did it to shave some weight. I carry it more than shoot it, so wanted light as possible.

I like the ROs, but the Trojan is a fine gun too. One thing though, what is on the front strap of the Trojan is NOT checkering, unless they have recently changed it. Metal form or dawson mags are excellent in my experience, I personally like the techwell, but the dawson is great too, either one is much better than the S&A type.

Currently, the RO is a much better made gun, IMO. You can convert the ILS to standard for mere pennies and have a good 3.5-3.75 trigger pull without changing anything other than the parts in the MSH and adjusting the sear spring. You start with a forged frame and slide and a well fitted match barrel. It will last you many, many thousands of rounds before you have to change out the internal due to wear. They also make higher grade models such as the Loaded. You might want to check them out.

BTW, I do not own a SA RO or any gun made by either SA or STI. I have one custom 1911 and I built the other myself. I'm building a third as we speak. I have several buddies with a variety of SAs from the RO up to their semi custom models. I also have two who have newer Trojans. The SAs run like champs, are accurate and worth every penny their owners paid for them. Both owners of Trojans wish they weren't. One had to go back for repair within the first 1000 rounds (9mm). The slide stop broke. The other was not put together by someone who cared. Trojans used to be good guns. Maybe some of them still are.

I've heard some tales about loose fitting slides on ROs, but have never seen one. Check the one you want out in person. If you don't feel confident, bring someone knowledgeable in 1911s. With the RO or better, you start with good bones. That's important.

BTW, I am a huge fan of the Wilson ETM mags.

So what is the performance benefit?

Lighter side means you can make weight easier with a 9mm, it also means less mass reciprocating which when sprung right means less recoil, not that 9mm in a 1911 had tremendous recoil to begin with.

Dawson makes two maxwell inserts. One accepts standard mags with the tab in front. The other has no cut for the tab and is made to work with Dawson base pads. I got the later and 5 Dawson mags whenI got my 9mm RO. The gun mag well and mags have all been flawless.

In the end you should be happy with either gun. Both companies have reputable customer service if you're not happy up front. I haven't shot or handled a Trojan, but I have shot a Range Officer and handled a few at the gun counter. I like the looks of the Trojan and the forged frame of the Range Officer. Both were on the raffle table at last weeks match and I put all my tickets in the Trojan bucket.

I own a 40 Trojan & 9mm RO, and believe they are both good pistols. If you are looking to purchase a new 1911, the RO list price is less and there are more vendors (opportunities) to purchase at a lower cost. I recently picked up the RO because I came across a deal too good to pass up. I had a spare 1911 pin kit and 17 pound ISMI main spring that I swapped for the stock components in the mainspring housing, which reduced the trigger pull to 3.5 pounds after adjusting the sear spring. Took it to the range just after the parts swap and confirmed the 17 pound main spring reliably ignited winchester primers, and that a 12.5 pound recoil spring functioned and ended up being my preference over 9 or 10 pounds. As is the thumb safety is the only other component that would require additional fitting or replacement to make this serviceable in my opinion.

I have an RO in 9mm and a Trojan in 40. My Trojan runs and runs and runs. The RO is a great pistol. Better slide to frame fit than my Trojan and I like the balance on it better, too. I think there is more weight in the RO frame. Either pistol is made well. Whichever you pick I don't think you'll be disappointed.

To answer the mag question, Tripp mags !

I spoke with a large STI retailer today who suggested either Dawson or Wilson 2nd gen mags as being the most reliable for fast mag changes. They said the Tripps were good mags but sometimes would have feeding challenges if slammed in abruptly, which dislodged the first round forward in slide lock back reloads.Have you experienced this Steve?