Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm Trojan or 9mm Range Officer? Please help me decide ...

igolfat8

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My opinion is based on only one sample of each. I handled the RO at the gun shop, shot a friends Trojan, and bought the Dan Wesson.

I was disappointed with how loose the RO was, and didn't like the lack of front slide serrations or front strap checkering.

I didn't prefer the style of front strap checkering on the Trojan. Honestly don't remember how tight it was.

The Dan Wesson is very tight, no play anywhere, and is very reliable. It has front strap checkering, front slide serrations, and a nice serrated rib milled into the slide. I like that it doesn't have its brand name or model in big letters on its slide flats. I do wish the fiber optic front sight was a little narrower and it had an ambi safety, but those are pretty easy fixes.

Is the PM9 a series 70 or 80? How is the trigger? Is the slide, frame and barrel cast or forged? Does it use MIM parts?

Series 70. Forged frame. Stock trigger breaks crisply at 4 1/4 lbs.

I have tried about all the different 10 rd. magazines in my Trojan 9mm (Dawson, Wilson, Metalform, and Tripp) but the most reliable magazine I have found is the new Chip McCormick XP magazine . However for some reason my Wilson Combat Compact Carry 9mm doesn't like them and prefers the Tripp magazines .

I have tried about all the different 10 rd. magazines in my Trojan 9mm (Dawson, Wilson, Metalform, and Tripp) but the most reliable magazine I have found is the new Chip McCormick XP magazine . However for some reason my Wilson Combat Compact Carry 9mm doesn't like them and prefers the Tripp magazines .

My Springfield Loaded Target 9mm runs with any magazine.

All things considered with Springfield you get a forged frame (I know, STI cast frames hold up to lots of rounds), and spend less on it. Replacing internals isn't a huge deal if you even have to (I have a Kimber from 2001 with 20k+ through it and it has stock internals), so with that in mind, Springer would be my choice.

To answer the mag question, Tripp mags !

I spoke with a large STI retailer today who suggested either Dawson or Wilson 2nd gen mags as being the most reliable for fast mag changes. They said the Tripps were good mags but sometimes would have feeding challenges if slammed in abruptly, which dislodged the first round forward in slide lock back reloads.Have you experienced this Steve?

If you compare the Tripp mag to the factory mag you will see where you need to remove a little material. It's a simple fix with a dremel and the mags will run flawless with the Trojans.

Have the Trojan in 9mm and just got a RO 9mm Operator. RO had to go back right out of the box due to issues that no quality control check could have missed.Quick service and now it runs great. Did change out the main to 20 lb and recoil to 11 lb to solve a perceived slow cycling issue. Trojan has the Dawson package and has been 1000% reliable in lots and lots of rounds.

I do shoot the RO better for some reason that I can not figure out. Maybe the rail helps?

My opinion is if I could only have one would be the RO but it will need to be tinkered with. The Trojan comes ready to rock.