Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Always On red-dot

steviesterno

Hey all,

I'm thinking about picking ups red dot for my non-competition AR, a 10" sbr. I have a TR 21 on my competition build, and really like the 1x. but for the SBR, I don't think I'll want or need zoom, since it's an under 200 yard gun anyway. I'm wondering who else (besides AImpoint) makes a decent red dot that holds up and I can leave on. I want to change batteries 1x a year, and don't want to worry about turning the optic on/off. I like Aimpoint and have owned some in the past, but I don't think I can tie up $600 on a dot that will site in the safe, hopefully seldom if ever used.

I have no experience with it, I don't know anyone that does so I don't want to in any way make this sound like I am endorsing it but I have been looking at the Meprolight RDS which is very interesting to me and cheap at $350. Might be worth a look.

I use a Docter 3.5moa as a secondary optic on my competition AR. Can mount on flat top rail as primary. Off when covered, on otherwise - 2032 battery. Also Leupold Deltapoint activates with motion and has available rail mount. Might want a riser to match height of typical iron sights.

Edited by NMBOpen

Primary arms or holosun aimpoint clone. 1/3 the cost or less and last 50k+ hours

I recommended Aimpoint above, but I'll agree with this post as well. If the gun is not going to be a patrol rifle or something that will be used in emergencies (as its intended use) I would say a clone would be a good option. I picked up a holosun h1/t1 clone and so far it's indistinguishable from the real thing (which I have owned). Now the longevity or durability is probably not the same.... And I'd still stick with a more expensive and tested brand like aimpoint for a fighting gun. But if it's not getting knocked around or in extreme conditions frequently you'll probably never see a difference.