Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Explain how "Squading" works to a new guy.

I used the search feature but I'm not really finding much information on what the differences are between "Squads" other than how many people are preferred on a Squad type information. How do I know which Squad I should be signing up for? Do different squads shoot at different times of the day?

I'm looking to do my first 3 gun match and I'm trying to Register. It is asking me which Squad I want to be on. I could use a little help with understanding this.

It's mostly just so friends can shoot together. The squad is the group you will shoot with throughout the match. each squad will be on a different stage at the same time. Then once everyone on your squad has shot the stage the whole squad goes to the next stage.

Being that it's your first match you should definitely show up early and let the people running the match know that it's your first time. They will go over the procedures with you and maybe squad you with someone experienced with helping new competitors.

Also, leave your guns in their cases untill you talk to someone about their procedures.

Edited by DarksideCZ

Another thing- for bigger multi day matches there are groups of squads and which one you choose determines your shooting schedule. As an example you might shoot AM/PM/AM and the other group shoots PM/AM/PM on a half day format.

Like others have said though, it's just a group that travels the stages and shoots the match as a group.

If the match is using Practiscore for registration and squadding, you can hover your mouse pointer over a name in the squad to see what Division they plan to shoot.

Unless you have another preference (such as shoot with friends), since this is your first match you may want to squad with folks shooting the same Division and gear you are using.

I shoot Open and often there are only a few of us in that Division at a match.

Edited by Flatland Shooter

Okay, thanks for all the info. I'm registering through a place called "eventbrite" and I can't see anything about what classes other people are shooting or anything.

So if you are in say Squad 1 or 2 at a one day event, does this mean you will shoot first and therefore be done first or is everyone there shooting off and on throughout the entire day?

Typically they try to have the same number of squads and they do stages. Squad 1 starts on Stage 1 and Squad 2 starts on Stage 2 and so on. This way all squads get to start at the same time. Major matches with a lot more competitors will break it up a bit. Say you have 10 stages and over 200 shooters. Then break it up into 20 squads with the first 10 shooting in the AM and the remaining 10 shooting in the PM.

When a squad has run all of their shooters through on a stage, the squad as a group will go to the next stage. Continue this until all squads have shot all stages.

Match etiquette calls for the competitor to stay with their squad and help with taping targets and resetting steel.

Let your squad mates know this is your first match and along with helpful hints on how to shoot the stage, they will remind you to help out when needed.

Edited by Flatland Shooter

I don't game anything other than my gear :-) . After all, it needs to work for me.

I know you'll have butterflies, but eventually it will be fun. Relax. The butterflies will pass. Have fun; it gets better. After all, that's what it's all about, so see the potential for enjoyment. Very few of us do it for a living and if you aren't having fun or making a living at it, but get intense, you might have a serious problem (IMO) . Unless it's your kids college fund, food on the table, and the mortgage, just take part, enjoy, and get better.

Many folks might disagree with that, but that's what I do. It's a game, so enjoy what it puts you through. You'll survive at the end despite the stress. You'll also get better if you wish to. Take the safety rules seriously, those are the ones that will DQ you, the rest as seriously as you wish to. (I knew a shooter years ago who delighted in shooting "no shoots".) Unless I have a question on a called shot I mostly don't even follow the RO as he scores. I shot it, it's there, you call it.

Have fun and squad with folks you are comfortable with. As with the general population there are people you'd rather not be around for one reason or another. They tend to squad together. Just stay off their squad. It could take time to find your favored squad mates. Personally I like to squad with folks I can support and who support me or are neutral. It just works better for all involved that way. It's not a perfect world and USPSA is just a cross section of the world. Many fewer psychos in it though :-) . Generally you'll find the folks shooting it to be good folks. There are very few USPSA folks who I wouldn't invite to my private range or into my home for Southern BBQ and a few adult beverages (in Maine). Good folks. You'll get the hang of it. Relax. Concentrate on safety and not squading initially.

The last match I was at I told the gent in charge, despite my Practiscore squading, to just "Squad me where you need to.". It worked out. We were all there for the same thing but I wasn't with my buddys. There were stages that were challenging and I did my less than famous, "This will be fun." comment to try to ally any jitters of the noobs. Yup, it definitely was enjoyable! Never lose sight of that no matter who you squad with. Oh, and I made the acquaintances of more gents I'd shoot with again in a heartbeat . We're shooters, we're generally good folks. :-) Seriously.

There are two ways to run a match, Open and Squadded. Open mean essentially a group of shooters go to a stage and wen the current group is done, they shoot, then move on to another stage. Squadding a match the organizer decides how may groups there will be, and either you select a squad or you are placed in a squad then that group is assigned to a stage to start the match, and then moves in order through the stages.

All squads start at the same time for most matches,, let's assume 9:00 am, squad 1 starts on stage 1, 2 on 2 and so on, as an example our club runs a 7 stage match, usually with 7 squads of 9-15 people. Each squad moves as they finish to the next stage. Some multi day matches (and a few one day matches) will have to flights, an AM and a PM run. Leave that aside for now. How do you get squadded? Well that depends upon the match. Our match has an online registration where you can select a squad, most of the time people decide to shoot with people they know, sometimes people will decide not to squad and wait till match day and allow the MD to put them where they may be needed. Others that know no one at a particular match may do that same and just meet new people. You will be welcomed so don't worry about that. Do let the staff know you are new. Don't unbag any firearms until you are told it is OK. Ask questions.