Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2011 failing to go completely into battery ***Updated with solution***

mwinter501

Extractor tension is too tight and/or there might not be enough bevel on the bottom edge so the rounds can pivot up under it. Plus, is the extractor hook holding the case in the deep part of the groove or along the forward bevel? Back of case needs to be sitting tight against the breach face and if the hook is on the bevel it will force the case not to sit tight to the breach face.

Extractor tension is too tight and/or there might not be enough bevel on the bottom edge so the rounds can pivot up under it. Plus, is the extractor hook holding the case in the deep part of the groove or along the forward bevel? Back of case needs to be sitting tight against the breach face and if the hook is on the bevel it will force the case not to sit tight to the breach face.

I was checking that yesterday trying to see if the extractor had anything to do with the previous issue. I'm not an expert, but there didn't seem to be any hangups there. It held the case quite tight against the breech face without binding. I suspect the taper on the feed lips is too wide causing the case to pop up too early during feeding. Mainly because it happens quite often with one particular STI mag, rarely with other STI mags, and it hasn't happened with the SVI mag. I'm about to go measure the feed lip dimensions on the SVI and compare them to what I did on the STI tubes.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

For 140mm mags you should be using 11 coil springs the 13's are for 170mm you have a lot of pressure pushing the round up against the slide

that's why the rounds are moving forward

You know, I just was revisiting this after fixing other mag tuning issues and I think you are exactly right! I ordered the 13 coil springs because I figured I could easily clip the two coils if need be....then I promptly forgot that I ordered the long springs. I'll clip them and see how it goes. Thanks for the help! :cheers:

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I shot a steel match this past week and thought I had the issue figured out. I only had one malfunction from a tube that I knew I had squeezed too wide and the rounds got stuck half way down...easy fix.

However, during practice a few days ago, I continued to have the same problem with the rounds getting in front of the extractor from two magazines. I have my feed lips pretty wide (.355-.363) from trying to fix a nose diving issue I previously had, but I ended up fixing that with loading my cartridge longer. Could the feed lips be too wide and allowing the rounds to prematurely jump up in front of the extractor?

I'm scratching my head on this one because I used all of my mags during the match and didn't have a single round feed in front of the extractor. Then the problem suddenly comes back.

Any ideas?

Take out the upper receiver. Insert an empty magazine and wiggle it up and down (observe the movement with and without pushing the release magazine). If the magazine is too loose, that will create problems with feeding ammo because the magazine is too low (eventually resulting in a nose dive). This usually occurs when using a plastic grip 2011. Thanks!

Edited by RonPogi