Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Boxing ammo ?

I box it a little bit faster than my 1050 on Auto Drive makes it, which is about perfect, as I have a few seconds here and there to do some other things.

I don't gauge any of my ammo, I plunk-test my wife's match ammo, the rest is good to go as it is.

I have been thinking of a machine, but even if I could buy/build one, I still like the chance to take another look at the ammo before it goes into the box. I sometimes spot a split case there, or a missing primer - boxing is a good opportunity to see that sort of the issues.

I have learned to grab 5 rounds at a time, so two grabs make for one row in the box... easy to remember. :)

Since I'm a low volume shooter. I just reenforce factory boxes I get out of the range trash and load them as part of my guaging process. Although I was thinking about getting some plastic boxes from dillon, not a bad price in volume.

Since I'm a low volume shooter. I just reenforce factory boxes I get out of the range trash and load them as part of my guaging process. Although I was thinking about getting some plastic boxes from dillon, not a bad price in volume.

Yes. Really cheap in packs of 10.

This is why I drink a lot of coffee: I poor most of my ammo in Folgers cans.

I have gone a similar route. I case gauge and then dump +/- 100 in quart freezer bags. Those are stored in ammo cans. Makes it easy to pull out enough for a match or practice. They store and travel ok and I think take up less space than the 100 round plastic boxes.

I've had the same thought, hammer. Can't find a single thing, although the hundred-round case gauge combined with bullet boxes isn't bad.

I have been thinking of what it would take to make something that would work but inspiration has not hit yet. Although I would still case-gauge in any case. Just trying to save minutes here. Hmmmm, something like a primer flip tray . . . with holes in it somehow . . .

I have gradually evolved a system of doing everything by the hundred-bullet bullet box. This makes accounting for every single cartridge and primer easy. No chance of a loose round hiding somewhere or primers being scattered on the floor. Storage is easy too.

I have made two Dillon bullet-box orders and STILL don't have enough bullet boxes. :)

This is why I drink a lot of coffee: I poor most of my ammo in Folgers cans.

I have gone a similar route. I case gauge and then dump +/- 100 in quart freezer bags. Those are stored in ammo cans. Makes it easy to pull out enough for a match or practice. They store and travel ok and I think take up less space than the 100 round plastic boxes.
I think I have tried everything from peanut butter jars to coffee cans etc. I just keep coming back to 100 round boxes. I think I can get at least 10 in a 50 cal ammo can. That's 1000 rounds in very little space. I like to put 4 boxes under my pistol case in my large DAA back pack. Perfect fit and more than enough for a local. One less thing to carry to the range.

I also gauge all of my ammo. Once I got a 100 round gauge it just made even more sense to stay with ammo boxes.

My wife brought home some plastic boxes with hinged lids from IKEA. Each will hold just over 200 rds. I case guage each round, give the primer a quick glance and drop it into the box.

Just the right size to put one or two into a range bag. They are sturdy, stack nicely and come in different colors.

I used to use the MTM boxes but with the number of rounds I was shooting, loading each MTM box with ammo then pulling individual rounds out of the box felt like a waste of time.

Amazon has the MTM boxes now for $2.49.

Dillon are a buck cheaper if you buy 10. And they are.....Dillon.

And don't drop the MTM box with 100 rounds in it either...I have dropped the Dillon box loaded and it survived...

I used to buy their boxes, when they were translucent. When they switched to solid, I walked away, as I want to see the rounds inside.

It's been ALL MTM since then, sorry Dillon! I bought some old Dillon boxes on ebay too.

I also like the different colors that I can use to differentiate my ammo. Frankly, the current Dillon boxes look totally unappealing.

All my ammo is loaded in the boxes, most in 100's, some in 50's. That works better for me.

Thank you, I bought 20... it was exactly the color I wanted.

+1 for the Shockbottle Hundo.

I case gauge everything - wether it's going into an MTM clear box or loose into a Dillon Border Shift bag.

I also prefer the MTM's for their clear tops. That way I can put my load labels on a loose index card and just drop it in on top of the loaded rounds rather than gumming up the outside of the box.

FWIW, I prefer my rounds primer up in the MTM cases. You can flip from the Hundo, to a case and then flip again into another case to get everything oriented correctly. There is a shallow plastic flip tray out now that fits over the Hundo that makes that whole process more graceful - no flapping tops or hinges to get in the way. Everything just lines up better.

M

FWIW, I prefer my rounds primer up in the MTM cases. You can flip from the Hundo, to a case and then flip again into another case to get everything oriented correctly. There is a shallow plastic flip tray out now that fits over the Hundo that makes that whole process more graceful - no flapping tops or hinges to get in the way. Everything just lines up better.

M

A fun smith here in Oz is now making Hundo style gauges in .357 Sig. He also makes a nice "flip" tray. The .45 version will do everything up to and including .45 no problems.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use the "hundo" to case gauge, then put them into 100 round boxes (dillon and berry), however I don't like picking rounds out of the 100 round boxes to load mags. I have an old nylon shaving kit bag that I dump a couple of hundred rounds into at the match, much easier to unzip the bag and grab handfuls of rounds to load mags. I have extra boxes in the bottom of the cart so I can reload the bag if I run low.