Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

fewest possible # of guns to own and still compete

I know this is blasphemy on a gun forum, but going for it anyway. I'm looking to consolidate and have fewer calibers, and generally nicer gear. I'm trying to figure out what's the bare minimum I could get away with and still fill all these different gun roles pretty well. I have a few guns that I think fill multiple roles, and a few I won't get rid of ever (my les baer competition 1911 and an over/under I bought years ago).

so here are the events I shoot and the things I want to do with them:
3 gun
Night 3 gun
USPSA (but like single stack and don't mind limited minor)
steel challenge
local style tactical matches (USPSA/IDPA fewer rules and no power floor)
informal skeet/trap/sporting clays

Home Defense
CC deep cover stuff
CC medium sized/EDC
Range fun

Now thinking about it, I'm sort of leaning towards a good AR set up with a 1-4, that should be good for 3 gun and HD
A semi auto 12 gauge for 3 gun and informal games. the serious skeet people look at you funny with an extended shotgun

but I'm having the most trouble with the pistol. I'm leaning towards an STI double stack 9mm with a rail (marauder or tactical) to fill the competition handgun rules for most of the events, serve as HD as well, and be occasionally carried if I'm going somewhere shady, but I'm too old to do that much.

the baer as it's set up is uncomfortable to carry with adjustable sights and giant magwell, and too annoying to switch back and forth. I have a little LCP to throw in the pocket to walk the dog, anything more adventurous than that go with a range officer compact, but I could see selling the ROC to cover some costs.

so can anyone see something I'm missing or have suggestions? I don't mind selling some of my other stuff to help pair down and consolidate. Also, we had our first kid 3 months ago, so I'm sure my free time to shoot is going away even more than it is now. might as well get one gear set up I can do everything with and not waste time tinkering, right?

I thought this was another one of those joke questions..............

Buy what you need, and sell what you don't need or use, but be advised, you will regret selling what you don't need or use today (I speak from experience), because you may need it later and can't afford to replace it (a series 70 1911 comes to mind).

• 2 weeks later...

2 x 3g rifle

1x 3g shot gun

1x trap gun

1x 3g pistol

5 x IPSC pistols (classic, open and production)

2 x steel challenge pistol

1 x steel challenge rife

2 x "super accurate .22"

We are not allowed to defend ourselves in Canada........so whatever.

SIG P320 and a handful of conversation kits? It's still technically just one gun. Being able to swap out grips for different uses helps to.

From a pistol perspective if you are shooting minor then getting a gun that would work in Production Division makes sense.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I've actually been working towards this goal of reducing. I'm having a hard time consolidating pistols, but I think I can get down to like 5. small 1911, full size, walther p99 (first pistol) M&P, maybe something else small to carry. 

I keep finding stuff I don't "need" though. Since this, I ended up checking out and enjoying 300 BO, so I have a 16" built and I'm thinking about doing an 8". Not that it fills one of those needs better than anything else. Damn, just when I thought I was going to save some money... 

Has anyone done this kind of consolidation? I took a 22 1911, bolt 22 and my SBR with 22 to the range on Friday, and blasted away for over an hour. Just had fun and relaxed. I'm starting to get the chance to shoot and enjoying when I do again. 

you "need" a minimum of 3 guns and 3 ammo:

- Shotgun
- Rifle
- Pistol (type of pistol will depends on the number of division you want to shoot.  some pistol will allow you to shoot in more division than other pistols)

- Shotgun shells
- Rifle ammo
- Pistol ammo (9mm or .40 seems to fit in almost all discipline of shooting)

• 1 month later...

I too am in the same boat, consolidating and getting ready for the Killary Administration by selling the "unnecessaries" and doing a 5.56 pistol build (truck gun), a total QD setup for my main training gun, to double as a 3gun rifle (no need for a dedicated rifle), and a couple backup pistols.... Plus extra ammo and reloading supplies for all....

• 4 weeks later...

For what you listed.....

3 guns.    

-AR with 1x optic or variable scope depending on division. I'd use a silencer mount muzzle brake and eventually pick up the silencer for it in case you need it at home in the house some day (hopefully not likely right?).

-Glock 17 with 3 holsters, IWB, drop-offset holster, drop-offset holster with light/laser

-Benelli M2 with an expandable tube.

That should cover you for just about everything you would need.

On ‎11‎/‎30‎/‎2016 at 11:01 AM, EaZeNuTZ33 said:

For what you listed.....

3 guns.    

-AR with 1x optic or variable scope depending on division. I'd use a silencer mount muzzle brake and eventually pick up the silencer for it in case you need it at home in the house some day (hopefully not likely right?).

-Glock 17 with 3 holsters, IWB, drop-offset holster, drop-offset holster with light/laser

-Benelli M2 with an expandable tube.

That should cover you for just about everything you would need.

This ^^^^^^^^^^^

update.... I've since dropped 300 BO and don't plan on picking it back up until I have a can for an SBR. 

I've come close to selling that LCP and picking up a shield. That would get me out of 380 entirely, but I haven't pulled the trigger so to speak. I'm looking to see if I can make my ROC as light as a shield, and I think I'm getting close. If I can do that, the small 1911 can by my anywhere gun. 

Going to keep the 38 for now. it's all sorts of scratched up from years in a glove box, so probably not worth selling for the $150 I could get for it. 

I have decided to upgrade some of the stuff I have now rather than build/buy more. ordered a great used scope for my 22 rifle. will see how it pans out with the SBR for now. 

I think I may be stuck with a few more things, since some are sentimental and sometimes I want variety, and I have a 1911 I'm not allowed to sell per the wife. If i was getting into the shooting sports now from scratch or lost everything in a fire, I think I could do: 

Shield or similar to carry

2011 9mm Tactical for HD/range/3 gun/limited minor/etc

Les Baer 1911 (because SS and damnit I want one)

JP AR with variable optic and 22 conversion kit.

semi auto shotgun (benelli?)