Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Limcat vs SV

Dirtchevy841

• Replies 491
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

14 hours ago, Dirtchevy841 said:

Was getting ready to buy some new mag tubes from a friend but I think if I remember that only SV mags are going to fit in my pistol. Is that correct. Just making sure before I buy something I can't use. 

STI mags work.  The only thing is if you use the right side mag release they won't. 

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Dirtchevy841 said:

How many mags you getting with yours. 

I'll be running mine in Limited as well. I'm ordering three extra mags, so I'll have a total of four.  If your going to be loading 20+ in each mag, I don't think you'll need more than two mags on any stage.  I asked about the number of mags most Limited shooters carry on the belt in a thread earlier this year. Most seem to carry one in the gun, one on the belt for a reload, and the other mag just seems to be an extra SHTF mag that they mostly don't use.  I'm in NJ (15rd max), so I might actually be reaching for the 3rd mag more often.   Personally I think six mags would be excessive, especially if you're not in a restricted state. But if you've got money to burn, go for it. Nothing wrong with having a back up to a back up to a back up to a back up. 

2 hours ago, MissionaryMike said:

...Personally I think six mags would be excessive, especially if you're not in a restricted state. But if you've got money to burn, go for it. Nothing wrong with having a back up to a back up to a back up to a back up. 

After next July, Limited and Open divisions in CA will be limited to 10 rounds. That being said there is another reason to have extra mags, either mud or dust. People in the squad (at least here) get testy if everyone is not taping unless they are on deck. So, taking extra time to disassemble and clean mags after a run gets frowned on if there is taping to be done. Having extra mags minimizes/eliminates the need to clean them during a match.

23 minutes ago, tanks said:

After next July, Limited and Open divisions in CA will be limited to 10 rounds. That being said there is another reason to have extra mags, either mud or dust. People in the squad (at least here) get testy if everyone is not taping unless they are on deck. So, taking extra time to disassemble and clean mags after a run gets frowned on if there is taping to be done. Having extra mags minimizes/eliminates the need to clean them during a match.

That's good reasoning.  Can't argue with that.  My mags haven't ever gotten dirty enough to cause problems like that yet.

2 hours ago, MissionaryMike said:

I'll be running mine in Limited as well. I'm ordering three extra mags, so I'll have a total of four.  If your going to be loading 20+ in each mag, I don't think you'll need more than two mags on any stage.  I asked about the number of mags most Limited shooters carry on the belt in a thread earlier this year. Most seem to carry one in the gun, one on the belt for a reload, and the other mag just seems to be an extra SHTF mag that they mostly don't use.  I'm in NJ (15rd max), so I might actually be reaching for the 3rd mag more often.   Personally I think six mags would be excessive, especially if you're not in a restricted state. But if you've got money to burn, go for it. Nothing wrong with having a back up to a back up to a back up to a back up. 

Its good to have spares incase ones goes bad also. I keep a couple mags just for practice (they get loaded and dropped the most including dri fire) and a set of match mags along with a full set of extra mags. I have them in sets of 6 4 for match and 2 for practice.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/15/2016 at 9:42 AM, tanks said:

CA Good god I feel for you guys with all the crap y'all have to deal with. 

• 1 month later...

Started thread back in April but was thinking limcat or svi since the beginning of the year. Farted around couldn't decide than started thread. Decided on SV in July so farted around and could've been almost a year. But hey it's a lot of money so not feeling that crappy. 

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Added a little more cost to build. Talked to Casey about doing custom engraving on grip. Gonna be something different than you normally see so I can't wait to see it up close and not in a computer drawing. Dealing with SV and Casey has been top notch. Have been accommodated in every request. Can't say enough good things about SV. Getting close and can't wait to see my finished pistol. 

• 1 month later...

I met Casey and Brandon recently and I can tell you that I am even more convinced that my decision to go all SV was the right one.  My experience has not been without issues, but instead of the normal "It's your ammo" answer, what I got was, "It is this very particular aspect of your ammo, and here is why that is bad in my gun where it may work in other guns"  They explained in detail, with calipers, how they do things differently and why that was the better way to go.  I felt like I had received a free education instead of an excuse.  Lots of builders can build guns that run, few builders can built guns that suit your particular tastes.  I know that you have already bought the SV, (congrats on a good choice) but the best advice that I can give is to buy the one that you will be the happiest to shoot, and shoot the piss out of it.  

I am in LA, and I have, among my stable of SV's, a 5.4" limited gun.  PM me and I'll meet up with you at a match and you can finger it.