Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Practicing for IDPA and USPSA

So obviously, the holster rules are a bit different between IDPA and USPSA.

For a new shooter who will be doing both, are there more benefits to having a holster set up for each? Or is one better off running the IDPA set-up for both and ignore the advantages the USPSA set up would give you?

Me specifically, I'll bee running SSP/ESP in IDPA and Production in USPSA with a Tanfo Lim Pro (longer gun with a large beaver tail to clear when grabbing the gun).

Possible options

A) set up, and use both equally when practicing

B ) Set up and use mainly the IDPA rig when practicing (thought being that USPSA rig isn't THAT much different, but slightly easier in every way, when needed one should be able to quickly adapt)

C) Forget the USPSA rig, and any benefits it might have and train exclusively with one set up.

Thanx!

Edited by IronArcher

Is there really much difference between ESP and Production? I run the same set up for ESP/Limited/3 gun just for consistency. I imagine that unless you're M/GM there are a lot of other areas you need to worry about first.

I run the same holster setup for IDPA and USPSA. A dropped offset holster isn't noticeably faster for me compared to just belt mounted holster

I don't shoot IDPA anymore, but I do shoot SS, which has a similar holster requirement. I am not any faster using a DOH holster, and in fact I might be slower, but the difference is small. It makes sense to me to start with the gun as high as I can easily reach it, since I have to get it all the way up in front of my eyes. When I shoot some Limited in the fall, I'm going to mount my limited holster at the same height.

If I were new like you, I'd set up for IDPA and buy Ben Stoegers and Steve Andersons videos and books. Dryfire and shoot all you can afford.

When you get experience, it will be easier to switch gear.

Thanx guys,

I have a Bladetech now, and I made 2 drop mounts for them. Well, the IDPA one is just offset (still within limits with my spare tire), and the USPSA is dropped and offset.

You guys pretty much said what I figured... my biggest issue with drawing is clearing the beaver tail, hence my desire to mount lower.

Looks like I'll still with my IDPA mount until such point in time that I drop that game,

Thanx again!

Something I learned from a M class shooter tonight: consistent hand positioning and preloading the bicep. He makes a point to touch his left thumb to his head and have his right arm straight up from his drawstroke so on the beep it's straight down to gun. Hands in the same place pre draw every time relative to the starting position. Consistent motion, limited moves. That's how he practices and his time to first called shot is pretty short.

I need to get my draws that consistent.

Edited by mreed911

Related (kinda),

How much of your practice would you do wearing the fishing vest? 50/50%? 80/20?

And if practicing with the vest on, would that change your mind on using a different holster (as wearing the vest will change your draw more than an extra 1" DOH)?

Edited by IronArcher

Remove right side lever from the safety.
Not all Lim Pros came with ambi safeties, so it's legal.
Also, the safety can be replaced with the smaller ambi safety from a stock 2 or the safety from a plain Witness.

Edited by IronArcher

• 2 weeks later...

Update:

I've decided to run different belts/systems for each discipline.

Thank you to all that gave input, but looking at it again, the fishing vest IMO changes the draw cycle enough that I feel I need to practice both with the vest and without. Being that the 2 draws are significantly different, I have decided to run 2 separate rigs. 1 IDPA with just a spacer on the holster, and 1 USPSA production legal inner/outer belt rig with a DO holster.

Yes, I understand the logic of keeping everything the same, but to me the vest changes too much of the path taken to the holster to gain any benefit in keeping the holster location IDPA legal in USPSA.

Edited by IronArcher