Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ipsc targets

Prov1x

Interesting question. This is what I found:

4.2.4 When the scoring area of a paper target is to be partially hidden, course designers must simulate hard cover in one of the following ways:
4.2.4.1 By actually hiding a portion of the target (see Rule 4.1.4.1).
4.2.4.2 By physically cutting targets to remove the portion deemed to be hidden by hard cover. Such targets must be fitted with a replacement non-scoring border, which must extend the full width of the cut scoring area (see Rule 4.2.2).

4.2.4 talks about paper targets without identifying type so either should be good. But note the replacement non-scoring border requirement.

4.2.4 When the scoring area of a paper target is to be partially hidden, course designers must simulate hard cover in one of the following ways:

4.2.4.2 By physically cutting targets to remove the portion deemed to be hidden by hard cover. Such targets must be fitted with a replacement non-scoring border, which must extend the full width of the cut scoring area (see Rule 4.2.2).

4.2.4 talks about paper targets without identifying type so either should be good. But note the replacement non-scoring border requirement.

The way that rule reads is that I would have to have either a hard cover or no shoot target to make up for the missing part of the cut one?

That's what I read and it confused me, maybe I'll ask Troy next week at SSNats to be sure.

The way that rule reads is that I would have to have either a hard cover or no shoot target to make up for the missing part of the cut one?

That's what I read and it confused me, maybe I'll ask Troy next week at SSNats to be sure.

4.2.4.2 says it is OK to cut the target to simulate hard cover. What confuses you?

4.2.4.2 says it is OK to cut the target to simulate hard cover. What confuses you?

Um possibly this, Such targets must be fitted with a replacement non-scoring border, which must extend the full width of the cut scoring area (see Rule 4.2.2).

Um possibly this, Such targets must be fitted with a replacement non-scoring border, which must extend the full width of the cut scoring area (see Rule 4.2.2).

The missing part simulates the hard cover. The "replacement non-scoring border" just makes it possible to determine if a hit near the cut edge is a hit or miss.

One piece of tape carefully applied along the edge, we usually use black, but tan is also ok. It allows you to score a hit that is tangent to the scoring area. if there were no border you would have to determine if a scrape on the edge of the target was a hit or just a cutting issue. Simple really.

I've shot multiple Level 2 IPSC matches, including an IPSC Nationals with them cut.

Can you provide an example please?

This years Florida Open used cut classic targets for at least one stage.