Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

S&W 627 Pro brass/moon clip combination?

AlphaChaser

Folks, I bought a 627 Pro (the 4"-8 shot Pro, not the 5"-8 shot 627 PC) and shot up hundreds of R-P (Remington) 38 Special +P to use the brass for competition. Revolver Supply was kind enough to send me some moon clip samples for my Remington brass from 020"-025" thickness, stainless as well as blued. I was using the BMT loader.

Questions:

Which brass/moon clip combo have you successfully used specifically with the S&W 627 Pro model?

Should I try to find a clip that works in my R-P brass, or start fresh with a known combo that just works?

I planned to shoot .38 special brass initially, in whatever moon clips will hold it rigidly, without wobbling, but I'm open to ordering new brass and use whatever clips have been proven to work.

Thanks!

Edited by AlphaChaser

If you're sticking with the brass you have, I found that RP brass works very well with TK Standard Stainless clips. Revofan has mentioned the combination I'd recommend if you're buying everything. While you're buying, go with the Starline Short Colt brass and skip the headaches.

I have seen other manufacturers of brass change their specifications a little bit that would cause problems in good tight fitting moon clips. I'm a firm believer in buying new Starline brass and having Dave Hearth (Hearthco) make your moon clips to match. You get the brass back and you are done having problems, money well spent.

Thanks guys! By the way, the BMT N38-8 loader works great and I highly recommend it after getting used to it. Tonight I practiced my loads with my R-P brass safety loads in both the .025" and .022" Revolver Supply samples I was kindly sent and found that the slightly looser .022" ones loaded a bit faster than the stiffer .025" ones, which tended to hang up a bit from time to time. I had my cylinders chamfered and the slightly looser ones just glided right it with no effort. That's backwards from what I would think (stiffer clip=better/faster).

Anyway, I'm brand new to ICORE and will get my TK/Hearthco clips and Starline Brass soon and start competing. I can always use the cheaper clips and R-P brass for plinking and fun shooting where ultimate speed is not a consideration.

...now to research, 38 SC load data for Tight Group and W231, and I'll be set! I also have a pound of N310 I could use. You guys are very helpful and I much appreciate it!

Guys, I really appreciate all of your advice. I decided to start with Starline 38 LC brass and TK moon clips and see how that goes. I wasn't quite comfortable with going .38 SC at the start. I always have the option to do that if LC doesn't insert/eject as fast as I'd like.

Now if I could only find Fed sm pistol primers...anywhere!

I'm also running the Federal 200 small pistol magnum primers with no adjustments to a 4.5 pound trigger gun. I saw 2 fps increase on the chrono so I I'm not seeing a problem with using them.

• 2 months later...

Midway keeps getting Fed SP Primers now, but they sell out quick. Get on their Notifiy List and act quick.

A 627 Pro may be my next. Like the idea of setting it up for SD and use it as a backup.