Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Weak Hand Shooting?

Rub'n

Years back, one of our regular members suffered damage to his strong hand arm.

Surprisingly he showed up to help anyway.

Rather than let him work and not play, some of us squaded up into a weak hand only group.

Good practice and lots of frustrating fun.

Definitely worth a try.

We had a GM shoot one of our matches with his weak hand only. Seems he hurt his strong hand shoulder. He still smoked everyone.

I remember shooting next to Mike Seeklander at Nationals one year at PASA during the Standards. He rocked the stage. Weak hand was not a handicap for him.

A year later I was talking to Taran and he told me he wanted to be known as the guy who could shoot weak or strong hand better than anyone. All those GMs who got their card years ago practice weak hand-they had no holes in their skill set.

• 2 weeks later...

I have done local matches both strong hand only and weak hand only. The SHO was when I broke a finger on my weak hand and had to shoot without it for 12 weeks. This was during the winter shooting a local 72rd match every week. By the time my finger healed I was almost as fast SHO as I was with both hands. It was really fun doing it and nice to see myself move up in the standing each week as I got better.

The WHO came for only 3 weeks after a wrist surgery. It was not nearly as much fun and not long enough to really improve too much. Still better shooting WHO than not shooting at all. Especially when you are in charge of designing and setting up the match every week.

I suggest trying either sometime and seeing how it is. Be very careful on reloads when doing WHO as you will need to reach across your body for the mags on your belt.

Easier to go set up a practice an shoot weak hand only. Less down time in between shooting. Let's you fix any mistakes you find yourself doing.

+1. Can't imagine shooting a match weak hand only unless my strong hand/arm/shoulder is injured.

But, i suppose if the Saturday morning match is the only time you get to "practice", go for it.