Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Nordic Extension Tube Question for Browing A5 (New)

sasquatch981

I purchased a used Browning A5, I was told it had the old (pre-MXT) tube that had the extension tube nut turned on a lathe to fit the browning forearm. If I recall correctly the tube was from a Winchester SX2, or FN SLP as the thread pitches were the same. So I can get (11) in the tube, with about 1/2 of the next shell in before it bottoms out on the spring.

I was thinking since it was the old tube, if I could find an old XXL tube end I could get the extra 1/2 shell in the tube, and be able to hold (12), or 8 at the start, and then quad load for (12) if needed on the stage.

Shock of all shocks I found an XXL cap, but it doesn't fit the tube. It is too narrow, (just a touch smaller). I just read in a another post, that all I need to get is a new MXT "extension" tube and end cap, as the old thread pitch is the same. Is that correct? Secondly, what size extension would I get if I want to load 12 overall in the tube?

Lastly do you think it would just be easier to sell the entire set-up I have, and just buy a new MXT set-up/

MXT.... If you get a 10 round (+6) Nordic MXT for A5, you need to use a hollowed out follower (like Nordic's), If you use the Browing follower with MXT tube for a 10 rnd, you have a 9 tube. It is still tight and you will have issues getting 10 buck/slugs/euro (usually slightly longer) shells in it even with a hollow follower. (You can unscrew your "end cap" about 1/3" in those situations and squeeze them in). I have talked to Nordic, and they only make a universal +6 tube, so you would have to go to a +7 tube for 10+1 buck/slugs/euro shells (but this will extend past your barrel, so why not go for the +8 12+1 tube).

There are some other mfgs that make extensions.

The A5 is has a 4 shell capacity forearm. So for ....

10+1 use the MXT +6 tube

12+1 use the MXT +8 tube

These are the most popular because you can load 2 on the start signal or quad load with the +8 tube on the start signal.

Greg

RKI

BBP