Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Do you warm up before a match? You should!

I realize this is an old thread but I’m curious if there are more or less warm up stages/area now? I shoot in the NorthEast and only one IDPA match around here has just started doing a warm up stage as described above. Still counts but it’s everyone’s 1st stage and it’s just a small quick stage built into everyone bay. 

Would love to see a practice warm up bay at big matches. Maybe put a time limit so ppl keep moving? 

Edited by Malarky112
Spelling error

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Malarky112 said:

I realize this is an old thread but I’m curious if there are more or less warm up stages/area now? I shoot in the NorthEast and only one IDPA match around here has just started doing a warm up stage as described above. Still counts but it’s everyone’s 1st stage and it’s just a small quick stage built into everyone bay. 

Would love to see a practice warm up bay at big matches. Maybe put a time limit so ppl keep moving? 

I have always appreciated the big matches that provide a bay for warming up, testing, etc.  Unfortunately it wasn't that common for a match to have a practice bay....at least not at the matches I attended.   Also, I've never shot a match that had a stage to shoot but didn't count for score. 

So I just finished up with Steve Andersons book and even listened to a podcast where he mentioned that no one really takes "warm up" seriously.  He was talking about how shooting sports is one of the few sports where you cant take "live fire" before the match.  He says, as some of you here have mentioned, to spend more time at the safe table "warming up" before the match.  Makes sense to me.

When I shot sporting clays I'd always pay for 15 or 20 targets if the tournament offered a warmup stand.  Then I started wondering if it really did help so I stopped and still kept climbing the classification ladder.

So I wouldn't waste ammo on a warmup stage in USPSA.  Most I'll do is two or three draws at the safe table and some minor stretching and that's not always.  Often I get out of the car, put my s#!t on, and then hang around till it's time to shoot.

Edited by elguapo

• 2 years later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

I wish every match had a practice bay bc I totally would

the issue with the safe area is some clubs have a small one and only one and everyone is trying to gun up

a few draws and even then the line is massive 

• 2 months later...

always stretch, and get to matches early so i can start mentally preparing/walking stages for quick glance before we start. Especially as we get older, more and more important to get a good stretch in before 

• 2 months later...

I dunno, people who get peeved they can't do their little warm up routine are silly to me. For sure stretch, get limber, walk the stages but did you really forget how to aim your pistol? Pull the trigger? If you're not ready to achieve whatever goal you had by the night before spending 5 minutes practicing your draw at the safe table isn't gonna save you.