Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Strange Problem loading new starline brass...

DenverDave

Since getting my Dillon 650 back in Oct last year, I have loaded about 7,000 rounds.
Those rounds were 9mm, 40 S&W, 45 ACP.

I bought some 38 Super and loaded 100 test rounds the other day..the brand new Starline 38 Super brass..no problem there.

But today, I loaded 100 test rounds with Starline 38 Super Comp and in almost EVERY round the primer is about 1mm high.

I checked the primer punch and it is in tight.

I am using SB small primers (that is what Dillon recommend to me)

Anyone had any experience with this?
Should I be concerned about running these rounds?

Appreciate any input.
Thanks

Edited by DenverDave

I just primed some with Winchester.....about the same result as SB.
Primed some with CCI....better result than SB and Winchester, still just slightly high.
I have been advised not to run Federal's in my 650.

The funny part is the regular 38 Super new starline brass had no problem at all..... all the primers are seated flush.
The problem is with the 38 Super Comp starline brass.

I had a problem a LOT like this just recently. Everything was working on my 550B, then suddenly the exact same set-up starting giving me high primers.

My Strong Mount mounting bolts had come loose. The machine was moving up on the upstroke instead of staying rock-steady. I couldn't feel it, but I when put the wrenches on the mounting bolts it was immediately obvious. And when I tightened the mounting bolts, bang, the high primers stopped.

As per Starline's instructions, I am using the .223 shell plate. (aka #3)......now you got me thinking....I might try putting the 9mm plate back in and see what happens.....and check the bolts on the strongmount.

DenverDave, is it possible that your high primers are a result of debris on the press (ie. spent primers) not allowing the platform to bottom out enough for the primers to be seated? The good thing about it is it's an easy fix but can be frustrating if it's not caught right away.

RH

Edited by RangeHooligan

Yes something is not right if it's loosening up. I painted a line on my shell plate bolt a 9 o'clock. It hasn't moved in 10,000 rounds. Make sure the set screw is loose when removing and installing shell plate bolt and then tighten it up.