Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

STI edge springs

Dirtchevy841

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

It seems everyone runs between 10#-14# recoil springs. I recently picked up an Edge with 12# installed and it felt like the sights didn't want to return to the target as quickly as my Para with an 18ish# spring. I'm not a highly experienced shooter, so my recoil management probably leaves something to be desired. When I installed the 18 in the Edge, I noticed sights returning to target much more quickly. Then I read this article and it all started to make sense :

http://www.shootingtimes.com/gunsmithing/recoil-spring-rate-affects-timing/

So, I'll ask: are the lighter springs something that I'll be chasing when my recoil management matures? Because it appears that HEAVIER springs REDUCE total cycle time, and LIGHTER springs INCREASE cycle time. Just trying to understand why the more experienced shooters choose lighter springs.

ETA: I'm running a 180gr BB @ about 167PF

Edited by JFoley001

5 minutes ago, JFoley001 said:

Elaborate as to why. From what are you basing this theory?

I think I can shed some light on that.  The idea is that the heavier the spring the more recoil you will feel.  Reason being the spring is heavier and it takes more force for the gun to unlock.  I personally feel that is a double edged sword as the heavier spring will dampen recoil from the slide bottoming out but will require more force for the gun to unlock.  I personally run a very lightened slide with a 14lb recoil spring.  It just feels better to me.  I too had a similar issue with the sights not returning.  When my gun was shipped to me it had a 10lb recoil spring.  I found my second shot was just over the top when I was trying to blaze through a plate rack.  I told my builder this when I was having my backup gun built and he had never really heard of that problem. He went to the range and his consensus was that he could really see how spring weight along with slide weight could affect how the sights return.  All that said I do think a 18lb spring in an edge is a tad heavy but at the end of the day it's whatever feels right to you.  Not sure if any of that answered your question but you seem to be the only other person I have talked to that experienced that same deal.  I have been shooting quite a while and don't feel that my grip is an issue.  I say shoot with what works and don't let someone tell you a spring is too heavy.  If you have to look to get your sights back on target your definitely not saving time or helping your shooting in any way.  

4 hours ago, JFoley001 said:

Elaborate as to why. From what are you basing this theory?

Edge40 covered it well. I'm sure there's a reason why STI puts a 14lb spring in the Edge from the factory and most shooters drop down to a 12lb or less. Your issue could be related to a number of things-Snappy load, improper grip, double tap vs controlled pair shooting...  There are quite a few youtube videos out there that illustrate the effect of different weight springs.  If I remember correctly one of the videos is done on an Edge pistol.  At the end of the day its all up to what makes the gun feel right to you.   

Recently I switched to Sprinco recoil system with 11lbs springs. The first time I shot it I actually thought there was something wrong with the gun, and maybe I had a squib because the recoil felt so light. I also have 10lbs springs I will try later (Spring recommends 1-3 lbs lighter than usual with their system).