Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Practiscore synching issue?

TheBrick

A new MD and I got into it with regard to a "problem" that occurred in scoring his first match. Essentially, he is blaming those who synched their phones with the master tablet as being responsible for changing the match from idpa scoring to USPSA as well as deleting all paper targets from each of the six stages.

The MD swears the match was all set up on the master with the correct scoring (idpa) and all the steel and paper listed for each stage.

MD said he imported the registration of shooters from the practiscore web site the night before. After final registration and a few changes in squadding and adding walk ins, two people (1 is me) synched their cell phone with the master.

Upon arrival at my first stage, I looked at my phone and saw the stage I was on did not have any paper targets listed, the correct steel count was present just no paper and it was USPSA scoring. I tell the MD and he has a fit blaming it on those who synched to the master saying that we changed the match on his master. MD swears that he did not synch the master with any other device.

If I understand this program, no changes can be pushed from the cell phones (if any were actually made) to the master. The master must pull from a device that has changes to affect the master (which he says he never did).

Once a match is created, it can not be changed from IDPA to Steel to USPSA scoring without creating a new match. In other words, the created match can not be edited to change the scoring system used. A new one must be created.

I suggested that the MD had imported the registration into a match on the master other than the one with the correct scoring and target listing for the stages. Perhaps to a test match. MD swears he could not as he deleted all other matches before importing the registration. I suggested that he deleted the correct match while keeping a test match but this apparently went unheard.

Has anyone had any experience with a similar problem or a problem with having competitors synching their phones with the tablets before, during or after the match?

It is my understanding that competitors having the ability to keep track of scores throughout the match is one of the beautiful features of the program.

Or am I missing something here?

Peter

Syncing just pulls information from a device, it does not have the ability to change information on the device it requested to sync with.

The MD clearly had another issue and allowing an other device(s) to sync with the Master was not the issue.

Any number of things could have caused his issue, but I seriously doubt it was an issue caused by Practiscore app, more then likely it was self induced.

Every club is different, but all that I've been to, do not allow anyone other then stats staff to sync their device to the Master or any other scoring device.

At all of our local matches, folks can find their scores on the Practiscore website once the match is completed. Typically I have the scores posted about 5 minutes after the last scoring device is turned in.

At large matches, like a Level II match, I sync from all the scoring devices about every 5 minutes and then post those collected scores to Practiscore, generally every 30 minutes.

Edited by jdphotoguy

Was registration done on the PractiScore.com web site? It could be possible the match wasn't setup right there. Could you post the name of the match or perhaps a link to the registration page?

I've never experienced any of the problems the MD describes in any of the USPSA / Steel Challenge / Pro-Am matches I have bee involved with.

Just got word back from PS support.

The likely problem was the MD didn't properly id the match on the PS registration form so it defaulted to USPSA.

Even though he set the match up correctly on the master tab, when he used the pin to import registration he just applied all the changes without seeing it was changing the match to USPSA.

Peter

Just got word back from PS support.

The likely problem was the MD didn't properly id the match on the PS registration form so it defaulted to USPSA.

Even though he set the match up correctly on the master tab, when he used the pin to import registration he just applied all the changes without seeing it was changing the match to USPSA.

Peter

Figured it would be a user error

Every club is different, but all that I've been to, do not allow anyone other then stats staff to sync their device to the Master or any other scoring device.

Hmm, we must be the odd club out there.

About half of our shooters are grabbing the ongoing scores on their phones during a match to see what their buddies are doing on the other squads. I even do it myself from time to time.

I haven't had any problems with the Master Nook getting screwed up from any of this as the shooters are merely "syncing" with the local/stage Nook or the ones in the next bays.

AD

Hmm, we must be the odd club out there.

About half of our shooters are grabbing the ongoing scores on their phones during a match to see what their buddies are doing on the other squads. I even do it myself from time to time.

I haven't had any problems with the Master Nook getting screwed up from any of this as the shooters are merely "syncing" with the local/stage Nook or the ones in the next bays.

AD

I never said it would cause an issue with scoring, it's more an issue of I have better things to do then answering tons of questions on how to sync. Also we collect email and phone number info during registration of each competitor to be used by the MD. Some competitors have asked that their info not be made public. By offering syncing, that info would be available to anyone who sync'd.

I never said it would cause an issue with scoring, it's more an issue of I have better things to do then answering tons of questions on how to sync. Also we collect email and phone number info during registration of each competitor to be used by the MD. Some competitors have asked that their info not be made public. By offering syncing, that info would be available to anyone who sync'd.

Hmmmm, good point on the email thing. I haven't had anyone mention that to me yet, but I can see where it could be problematic.

Thanks.

AD

I admit I'm new to PS but from what I know there is no e-mail or phone listing on the screens available on a scoring tablet.

I believe only the MD has that on the registration site.

Could be wrong, if so, let me know where this info is on the scoring tablet screens.

Tap on Edit Shooters/Squads, then

Tap on a shooters name and their email and phone# come up.

Not sure if there is a way to disable it.

But it defaults to showing it.

Edit to add: this was from a match that was using on-line registration

and the on-line registration form asks for this information.

When you use the "Get match Registration" it comes across to the master.

Not sure about a sync to master. Will have to try that.

Personally I don't see the need to have people syncing to the master or stage devices

during the match (esp. at level 1 match).

Worry about the R.O.ing, and stage reset and getting the match done and torn down.

Results will follow very shortly after that.

Edited by racegun9