Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bullet weights and big poi change

Shooter212

My rifle shoots 55 gr and 62/75gr almost two inches different at fifty yards. 55gr bullets shoot about one moa well the 62/75gr are groups are touching, with my reloads. My barrel is a 16" with a 1/8 twist. My question is this normal never had another rifle do this. I don't like that I can't run cheap America eagle 55gr without worrying about missing on stages over 100 yards. Is it time to just get a new barrel?

Both of my Noveske 16" barrels shot 1/2MOA different with my 77gr Nosler handload from XM193s at 200 yards. One click of elevation on my Razor HD scope. HOWEVER, when you have significant POI shifts as you describe, it usually means a barrel harmonics issue. Try increasing/ decreasing the velocity of one load or the other and it may come in closer than what you have been getting. If that doesn't help, the crown may need to be trued. An uneven crown plays hell when switching between flat-base and boat-tails for instance.

At 50 yds you are at or inside of the parallax of your scopes. If this was a sample size of one group each then you could have had different head position between the groups. It is also possible its a harmonics issue.

Zero your rifle with your heavy bullets and at that same range see where the light ones print. I suspect that if you zero for the heavies at 200, your 55s will be a little higher. If its more then a few inches then its a harmonics issue.

Whenever I play the harmonica while shooting it typically causes my bullets to impact right. I don't notice a difference when I change bullet weights. Possibly you are not playing your harmonica (mouth organ) the same way that I do?